Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replacement for MSE with minimal overhead

For background, Iím currently running MSE and MBAM Pro and will be adding MBAE Pro over the weekend after taking a backup. The O/S is Win7 64bit.

Iím pretty careful about the sites I visit and use NoScript with Firefox and delete email unread on the server unless Iím expecting a message.

I was getting a little concerned with the low detection scores MSE receives so bought a copy of Kaspersky IS 2015, which started giving me brief lockups which culminated in a total lockup on a restart. At that point I restored the backup which cured the lockups (I had followed carefully the exclusions notes but clearly thereís a problem with KIS and my setup).

One thing I did learn from that was always try a trial version first before buying, but Iíve never had a problem with AV before so was not expecting any problems. I suspect as well that was a lot more than I needed as running MBAM Pro I only really needed a basic AV.

So my question is, can anyone recommend an AV that is as unobtrusive as MSE but has better detection rates. Cost is irrelevant, I just want it to run properly without problems and a lot of fiddling around (and no PUPís which I consider malware in any case which may rule out most of the free versions).

Thanks
    Bitdefender. It scores well in various tests and the only time you'll know its there is when it blocks something or completes a scheduled scan. It is also free.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...e_edition.html

Thanks
    BitDefender Free uses an older engine than the main version and is about the least configurable AV I've tested.

A stripped down install of Avast Free, just the File System and Web Shields (I don't install the browser plugin), should give you a relatively light AV with a good amount of configuration options with the main drawback being that some find the popups too intrusive - they can be controlled to some extent, I only see 2-3 a week.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm, thanks both I'll try Bitdefender though I'm always a bit wary of so called "free" versions of anything as there's no such thing as "free".

Looking at the paid versions of both of them, they seem to carry a lot of baggage that I don't particularly want which was probably the cause of the problems I had with KIS. It's very tiresome that you can't just buy something basic anymore rather than having a load of add-ons that some marketing suit has decided to force on you.

The real annoyance is the time it takes, taking an extra backup uninstalling MBAM installing the AV reinstalling MBAM and setting up. As I discovered with KIS it takes some hours before problems become apparent, so then it's back to reinstalling the restore.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This thread has some ideas.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...virus-software

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've seen where someone had to dump Bitdefender because it reduced the computer to a crawl, so it may be best to try before you buy with that one.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've seen where someone had to dump Bitdefender because it reduced the computer to a crawl, so it may be best to try before you buy with that one.
    Yep I'll definitely take a stepped approach and use trial versions this time.

I've installed MBAE over the weekend and that's behaving perfectly, though with Malwarebytes I wasn't expecting problems in any case. I'll leave things to run over the week to next backup cycle on Saturday and then try a new AV

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    The information from these sites suggest that Kaspersky should not be the problem; best detection, light system effect...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    The information from these sites suggest that Kaspersky should not be the problem; best detection, light system effect...
    It all depends on your own computer usage and the last update

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    It all depends on your own computer usage and the last update
    That truism would apply to any AV...my point was that Kaspersky has the best detection rates and a low footprint, according to the testing labs.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Kaspersky does seem to be the top of the heap at the moment but has already been tried and rejected.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    I second this recommendation.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Kaspersky does seem to be the top of the heap at the moment but has already been tried and rejected.
    Until recently I have had a lot of respect for Kaspersky. But during the past two weeks I have cleaned up three customers' computers that had Kaspersky ISS yet each were infected with 8-66 rootkit objects and several hundred PUPs/malware objects. All three customers had renewed their subscriptions within the past six months and their Kaspersky ISS installations were up-to-date.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast