Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New thing going on with links using Firefox

New thing going on w/ links using FF on XP.
    This link :
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../feature-packs

Sends me here:

https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=...1033&id=285275

Unless I use private browsing. What the heck gives??

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

jwoods
    I tested the http link using Firefox 37.0.2 on both a Win7 Pro system and a WinXP system, and did not get a re-direct to an https link.

Thanks
    Where you end up probably depends on the cookies detected in your browser.

Thanks
    The Cookie Monster strikes again!!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    David, does the above indicate that you've tested and proven the theory - that if you have certain MS/Windows Live etc. cookies, it shifts your expected landing page to a sign-in page?

It would help others who are seeking answers to a similar puzzle if you would clearly state it

Thanks

Same results today. Removing cookies w/ microsoft or windows in title (excepting for this site) results in link working. I normally do not mind cookies, I maybe reconsidering .... I do not appreciate this behavior.

If I did not mention it before I am using XP.

David

Thanks
    It's probably only the cookies linked to whichever MS service you login to use that are creating this diversion but there could be something similar happening if you have some MS -related Extension loaded, like Bing Bar or one of their default Plugins.

Thanks
    Satrow
    I honestly can not remember the last time I would have logged into any MS site on this computer. I suspect it would have been with an old MCP login years ago.
    No recognizable MS extensions and no Bing bar (over my dead body!)
    David

Thanks
    If you're sure that you don't have any plugins like .NET enabled/installed, then you might be able to reduce the chances of these problems happening by turning off 3rd party cookies and/or DNS and link pre-caching (some Add-ons like Fasterfox will tweak/increase these prefetches):
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...refetching_FAQ
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...NS_prefetching
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...+party+cookies

Disabling the above will slow access to linked sites, by how much depends mainly on your connection and DNS lookup speeds.

Thanks
    I did have accepting 3rd party cookies enabled. Don't know how that came to be, maybe I was trouble shooting something else. I can live w/ the problem for now if it persists.
    David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if XP has anything to do with it, but suspect not. On my W7 x64 system, with FF 37.0.2, your link works as expected. In my FF settings for Tools > Options > Privacy, I accept cookies from sites, accept third-party cookies always, and keep until I close FF. I also clear history when FF closes, with the Cookies box checked. This may mean that a cookie has to be reloaded next time I visit a particular site, but so what? At least there are no bothersome cookies getting in the way when FF starts next time, and cookies do not accumulate.

Redirection is also possibly being caused by something in your Hosts file. In XP this is located in \Windows\System32\Drivers\etc. Have a look in there.

Thanks
    Maybe this is not very helpful, but that page in my Linux Firefox browser gets redirected. (I do block all third-party cookies.) It directs to a page which is for Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro feature packs. Maybe Microsoft is no longer supporting feature packs for Windows XP? This could have changed recently, in anticipation of the release of Windows 10.

As of some time recently, Microsoft only officially supports the last two OS versions it has released. With Windows 8.1, this meant nothing prior to Vista, and mighty thin support for Vista. Windows 10 would bump this up to Windows 7 and later. Could this part of the MS Sites be using that criterion?

The login to a Windows Live or MS Account will be required to actually download and install any feature packs under Windows 7 through Windows 10. That's just the way things work with features now. At least, that's what I think I've been reading. If so, the login screen will show up any time Windows XP through Windows 7 used to go through the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) authentication tests. Or at least, in most of these situations.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2015-05-14 at 09:50.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is not so new - I had it happen with Firefox on Windows 7 and it started for me about 6 months ago.
    So it is not XP and not the specific version of Firefox.
    In my case the redirect to live login mainly occurred every time I clicked on "more information" for Windows update items.
    Only a small number of people were reporting this at the time, and it worked properly on my laptop with almost identical config.
    Other MS pages either worked, or gave the login screen, or gave me a "Server Error" page.

I think your comments about a bad cookie is almost certainly the correct - not sure why I did not think about it at the time.
    I can recall that, some time prior to that problem starting, I was directed to a live login page and couldn't be bothered finding my password so just killed the page. Maybe that was the cause of the odd cookie floating around.

In my case the problem went away by itself, which I guess may have been cookie expiry.
    My FF is set for
    • no 3rd party cookies
    • keep cookies until expiry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tested this also with a Win8.1 with Classic Shell installed. I did not get the redirect. I purge cookies whenever I get out of Firefox (mine is V37.0.2). You can set cookie options in Tools/Options/Privacy and use the drop down to set custom cookie options.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I tested the http link using Firefox 37.0.2 on both a Win7 Pro system and a WinXP system, and did not get a re-direct to an https link.

Thanks
    FWI working today. The Cookie Monster is on strike maybe?!

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast