Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Unable to get into safe mode

    I have a real puzzle with my old XP Laptop. Every so often, my PC will hang completely forcing me to do a hard restart. When that happens, I usually get a check disk warning when I restart. if I let it go ahead, I get a blue screen of death...:-( If I ignore it, sometimes it runs fine. Other times the system won't completely reboot. This is where my title comes in. If I try to startup in Safe Mode, the PC still hangs. The only way I can successfully restart it is to use the last known good settings option. In this case it starts up without any problems.

    I thought my hard drive was the problem so I bought Spinright and put it through a thorough diagnostic. That came back without any errors. Two hours later, same problem...<arrgghh>

    Any suggstions on what to try next? I am using System mechanic to optimize my startup and I am wondering if this is what is causing the problem.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    jwoods
    Guest
    Try doing a clean boot...

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310353

    You might also make yourself a BartPE disk and boot from that.

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-07 at 21:07.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,643
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 884 Times in 845 Posts
    When you get the BSOD does it give you any Stop Error Codes that you can post ?

    BlueScreenView can give some info if Dump files have been created, but Event Viewer may also have some info.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

    satrow (2015-05-07)

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,643
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 884 Times in 845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    It's little wonder the average home user gets in trouble with this stuff...

    I just read several glowing reviews of Spyhunter4.


    Not sure if you've made a typo or have posted in the wrong thread JW, but I'm not a fan of tune up programs as they tend to do more harm than good - especially if you allow them free reign of the registry.

  6. #5
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    Do not download or use SpyHunter - it can cau$e problem$ with your wallet.
    Safe Mode -- I take it the F8 click is not returning a black screen with options of Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking, correct?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  7. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,643
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 884 Times in 845 Posts
    @ Roland - The OP hasn't mentioned Spyhunter - JW has

    The tune up program in this case is System Mechanic.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-05-08 at 11:49.

  8. #7
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    Sudo15, correct, I was gently informing the OP to not follow the implied advice to get SpyHunter; well-intentioned, however, SpyHunter & its company is problematic.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  9. #8
    jwoods
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Sudo15, correct, I was gently informing the OP to not follow the implied advice to get SpyHunter; well-intentioned, however, SpyHunter & its company is problematic.
    My comment on SpyHunter4 was meant for this thread...

    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...B-rescue-drive

    I do not endorse it.

    The original post has been deleted.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-08 at 15:09.

  10. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    When you get the BSOD does it give you any Stop Error Codes that you can post ?

    BlueScreenView can give some info if Dump files have been created, but Event Viewer may also have some info.
    I will look into that viewer.

    Here are the main codes I have been getting. The last couple of times I did not record them...:-(

    3/25 3/26 3/30 4/1 4/18
    BCCode I4 Same Same Same Same
    BCPI 00000003 Same Same Same Same
    BCP2 8a1cc020 89fe0c00 8ABCA358 8A12A020 8A0C84C0
    BCP3 BA1CC194 89fe0d74 8ABCA4CC 8A12A194 BA0C8634
    BCP4 805D22DA same SAME Same SAME

  11. #10
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, I can get to the boot choice screen with the option to run in safe mode. However, when I choose that, the system does not completely start up. I get the driver list in the beginning and then it hangs. I have to turn off the laptop and use the use last known good configuration option to get things back together.

  12. #11
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I could do this as a startup option, I would try. However, I don't get any error messages when I go through this ordeal except the message that says that ChkDisk needs to verify the hard disk.

  13. #12
    Super Moderator satrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    4,492
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked 577 Times in 480 Posts
    If the top BCC code is really f4, that ties in with the fact that your HDD needs checking - it's probably got bad sectors that are affecting the files necessary to boot Windows. As it's an old drive and the problem seems to have been worsening over time, I'd say that it's not worth your time trying to fix it up enough to run Windows from it again.

    Best option would be to fit a new drive to install Windows on and find a suitable adapter to hook up the old drive to get your data off it.

  14. #13
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    If the top BCC code is really f4, that ties in with the fact that your HDD needs checking - it's probably got bad sectors that are affecting the files necessary to boot Windows.
    I will verify that it is an f4 and not an I4. What you say seems to make sense because sometimes when the system is hanging, the hard drive is running constantly. OTOH, it must be a haphazard kind of read error, because using the last known configuration seems to resolve the problem.

    I don't want to give up on this PC just yet. So I will try to replace the hard drive and see if it fixes things.Maybe I will upgrade to a Solid state hard drive!..:-)
    Last edited by tnesler; 2015-05-09 at 20:00.

  15. #14
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tnesler View Post
    No, I can get to the boot choice screen with the option to run in safe mode. However, when I choose that, the system does not completely start up. I get the driver list in the beginning and then it hangs. I have to turn off the laptop and use the use last known good configuration option to get things back together.
    This ma be completely irrelevant, in that I don't have an active XP system any more so can't check it but I had a very similar sounding problem with a Win7 system. Some patch or other (thanks Microsoft!) screwed it up and it wouldn't boot normally - put the Windows logo up and then went back to a BIOS restart. Trying Safe mode, I got the same as you, part way through the driver loads, it just hung (same place, near UPnP). The only way I found I could get the machine back up was from the F8 menu, do a Debug Mode start - no errors, booted normally to desktop and no errors while running. Tried a reboot to normal and failed again, same with safe, only Debug worked and then with no errors so maybe a timing effect?

    Backed off all the patches and system restored to before the problem and ran like that till the next patch set seemed to fix it. Never did find the solution. Point of the post, if XP has one (memory failed - mine, not machine!), try F8 Debug Mode. You might even get a clue to the source of the error.

  16. #15
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    System Mechanic and other programs like it can cause problems - use very carefully!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •