New Lounger
    Thanks

LaserJet pages coming out dirty

Recently when I print the page is coming out dirty. The actual print job is printed, but there are grey smudges all over the paper. I have used the printer menu to print several cleaning sheets, but this did not help. My guess is that I need to replace the toner cartridge but it is expensive and i don want t do that and find that the printer is still printing dirty.

Anything else I can try or a way to determine before replacing toner cart?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jack,

Have you cleaned the corona wire? There should be a small tab/button on the top of the toner cartridge near the front (where the transfer roller is) that you can zip back and forth across the the length of the cartridge. Do this several times leaving the button where it started. Another thing you can do is to gently rock the cartridge back and forth front to back to redistribute the toner. With the toner cartridge out you can also clean the inside of the printer especially the paper rollers with a lint free damp cloth to remove excess toner which may be contaminating the rollers.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    IME dirty pages are caused by dud toner cartridges. A new toner usually does the trick.
    How old / many pages is your toner?

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also of note, I've seen the same with refilled/off-brand cartridges.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    its a LaserJet 5100. I dont see a corona wire.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While this is for a different LaserJet, the trouble shooting could be the same to determine the fault http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer...034615#M163361

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Living close to Futian's (Shumchun) Computer Mecca has great advantages!

Quote Originally Posted by JackPollack View Post
    Recently when I print the page is coming out dirty. The actual print job is printed, but there are grey smudges all over the paper. I have used the printer menu to print several cleaning sheets, but this did not help. My guess is that I need to replace the toner cartridge but it is expensive and i don want t do that and find that the printer is still printing dirty.

According to my [HONG KONG] information - on the LJ carton - the Cartridge is "Guaranteed for 'Life'".

I have fronted up to the local HK distributor with the dud cartridge & "printed proof" - and got a brand new cartridge.

As for refills, I have replenished single "off brand" & HP cartridges many times without any problems!

It's easy - just get a "saw-toothed" circular cutter, heat it over a gas flame & use it to burn a hole in the side of my LJ1200 cartridges, removed the white "bung" and poured the refill "dust" into the cartridge. That costs me Commie Chinese RMB 5 for a refill = a mere ~US$1!!!

For blotches that occasionally occur, I take a slightly damp (face)cloth & wipe the green colored roller in the cartridge - all the way round.

So much cheaper & co$t effective than forking out ~HK$500+ for a new HP cartridge!

Of course, I do have a great advantage living in Hong Kong - the "Mecca" for a massive variety of electronic components is just over the Commie China frontier at Futian district in Shumchun! (and it co$ts me so little to get there - Shumchun's MTR charges me Zero to ride the train from Lowu terminus [I'm so old!] But HK's MTR bytes me for the "last mile" ride to the frontier.

Previously - in Hong Kong - I was able to get (unofficial) LaserJet refills, but the shop stopped stocking it - and anyway they charged the best part of (equiv) US$10 for just one refill.

Thanks
    In the old days, when toner somehow got out of its container and out into the printer, the drum and whatall had to be cleaned. I do not know what modern printers use in place of the drum; however, I'm wondering if toner has escaped its container and is now, a little here, a little there, loose inside the printer.

[Off topic, anyone remember "copying" via stencil?]
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    [Off topic, anyone remember "copying" via stencil?]

I remember sniffing those things as a kid.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I remember sniffing those things as a kid.
    Me too! Can you imagine what everyone would say now, about something that every kid used to do!? "That's killing your brain cells you crack-head! And what school delivers solvent-laden paper to impressionable children!!"

Al I noe, that papur snifn habet dun me no rong.

Thanks

Me too! Can you imagine what everyone would say now, about something that every kid used to do!? "That's killing your brain cells you crack-head! And what school delivers solvent-laden paper to impressionable children!!"

Al I noe, that papur snifn habet dun me no rong.

And don't ask about playing with those cooool little balls of mercury .....

mmmm might explain a lot now that I am pondering it..
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

jwoods
    A bad fuser can also be the cause...

https://diyoffice.wordpress.com/2010...f-a-bad-fuser/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try cleaning the rubber roller and the drum with a barely damp cloth that is lint free

if that doesnt do it then buy an OEM cartridge and dont abuse it by dropping or shakign in the wrong orientation

many refills and whitebox carts will leak toner like that

Quote Originally Posted by JackPollack View Post