New Lounger
    Thanks

Adding information to photographs using Windows Live Photo Gallery

Hello everyone,

I’m organizing photographs of documents from a local historical archive with Windows Live Photo Gallery (Windows 2007) for easy retrieval.

When adding information to the photos in the Windows Live Photo Gallery, I can do this in a column to the right with 4 fields: “People tags”, “Geotag”, “Caption”, and “Descriptive tags”. (Since my photos don’t deal with people and places, I don't use "People tag" and "Geotag".)

What is the difference between captions and descriptive tags?

I did an experiment and added some text to the "Caption" field. Then I went to consult the document properties from my file folder in the c drive. I discovered that under the "Details" tab under Properties, there are 5 fields: "Title", "Subject", "Rating", "Tags", "Comments" (whereas in Windows Live Photo Gallery, there are only 4 fields, 2 of which correspond to the fields under “Properties”/“Details”). I discovered that the content I had entered in the "Caption" field while working with the photograph in Windows Gallery was displayed under both the "Title" and the "Subject" fields, which was confusing. In the end, the “Details” in the Properties box and the information fields in the right-hand column of Windows Photo Gallery don't seem to be a mirror reflection of each other.

I also tried to do a slideshow with the photographs in Windows Gallery, and the captions I had added didn't show up. What are the "captions" for then?

Another difference:
    In the "Details" tab in the Properties box, there is an extra, 5th field called "Comments”. Is it possible to add comments to photographs while working in the Windows Photo Gallery that will then appear in the "Comments" when I look at Properties? Or do I need to manually add comments by right-clicking on Properties, via "Details"?

Thanks for reading and for any help or feedback.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradling View Post
    Hello everyone,

I’m organizing photographs of documents from a local historical archive with Windows Live Photo Gallery (Windows 2007) for easy retrieval.

When adding information to the photos in the Windows Live Photo Gallery, I can do this in a column to the right with 4 fields: “People tags”, “Geotag”, “Caption”, and “Descriptive tags”. (Since my photos don’t deal with people and places, I don't use "People tag" and "Geotag".)

What is the difference between captions and descriptive tags?

I did an experiment and added some text to the "Caption" field. Then I went to consult the document properties from my file folder in the c drive. I discovered that under the "Details" tab under Properties, there are 5 fields: "Title", "Subject", "Rating", "Tags", "Comments" (whereas in Windows Live Photo Gallery, there are only 4 fields, 2 of which correspond to the fields under “Properties”/“Details”). I discovered that the content I had entered in the "Caption" field while working with the photograph in Windows Gallery was displayed under both the "Title" and the "Subject" fields, which was confusing. In the end, the “Details” in the Properties box and the information fields in the right-hand column of Windows Photo Gallery don't seem to be a mirror reflection of each other.

I also tried to do a slideshow with the photographs in Windows Gallery, and the captions I had added didn't show up. What are the "captions" for then?

Another difference:
    In the "Details" tab in the Properties box, there is an extra, 5th field called "Comments”. Is it possible to add comments to photographs while working in the Windows Photo Gallery that will then appear in the "Comments" when I look at Properties? Or do I need to manually add comments by right-clicking on Properties, via "Details"?

Thanks for reading and for any help or feedback.
    Using the Right-click > Properties > Details tab of the image file itself one can add/edit information relevant to that particular image file. Using the Comments field one can add information relevant to grouping of that image together with other images/documents, the subject matter of the image, etc. Such Details will become part of that file's metadata, and will stay with that file until further editing. When one moves or copies the file, those Details will remain with it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you!