Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Will there be compatibility issues?

I remember MS saying that everything running under Win 7 would run under Win8 - and it it did, for me at least.

Since Microsoft will offer "free (for one year)" seemingly in-place updates from Win 7 and Win 8.x to Windows 10 I assume they must be fairly certain that everything running under Win7 and 8.x will run under Win 10.

Doe anyone know if MS has made any announcements to that effect?

Has anyone running a NOT 100% (or close) MS environment experienced any compatibility issues?

TIA for any comments.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know many experts can go into better explanations than I can but I suspect if you check out the following ideas, you’ll have a sense what compatibility issues could be involved.

Refer to Before You Install
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...equirements-pc
    It includes a lot of good information including
    “Basically, if your PC can run Windows 8.1, you’re good to go”

Then go to See What Works
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...Language=en-US
    Then select Scan Your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-05-10)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You could be more specific about what software concerns you. Someone here may be running it already or know about it.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-05-10)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @JoeP517:
    That's exactly the background for my question.

My customers mostly are, in their own words, computer illiterate. They simply can't give me a sort of complete list of what they are using.

With Microsoft likely going to offer the "free for one year" upgrade to Win 10 via Windows Update I am afraid that quite a number of them will stumble into this wide open money trap. I just want to get an idea of what the general expectations are by those who have had more occasion to test drive Win 10.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    "free for one year"
    I don't take it that way, just that there will be a 1-year window to get the upgrade over Win7 and Win8.1 for free [Win8.0 isn't mentioned].

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Tom Hyde (2015-05-15)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, it is not free for 1 yr & then start paying. It is that it can be done during the 1st yr for free as an in-place Upgrade. Any other method (any time) or the same method after the 1st yr is not free. Once you have it, you're done... from then on, just gets its (free) Updates. As for 8.0, people should be on 8.1 long ago, anyway.

And, yes, the idea is anything running on 7 SP1 or 8.1 should be ok on Windows 10.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43072

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-05-11),Tom Hyde (2015-05-15)

jwoods
    I would suggest running the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-7-tutorial

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    I would suggest running the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant...
    That is exactly what I can not do on 8,000 to 10,000 computers in private households distributed over ca. 2,500 square miles.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Free as in NO MONEY? REALLY?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Yes, it is not free for 1 yr & then start paying. It is that it can be done during the 1st yr for free as an in-place Upgrade. Any other method (any time) or the same method after the 1st yr is not free. Once you have it, you're done... from then on, just gets its (free) Updates.
    Drew,
    This is a very interesting view, thanks for the comment.

There is a lot of talk out there about MS switching to a subscription model. One example is here and another one here.

From my own, admittedly limited experience with Microsoft software products and services which dates back to the late 70's I do assume as well that MS will (at least try to) switch to a periodic licensing scheme. And they have the "cute" disclaimer in their announcements that goes something like "... for the lifetime of the device ...". This in MS's view definitely is the end of support; Windows 7 January 2020 and Windows 8.x January 2023.

With a subscription scheme MS would be able to charge for the interim time (three and 6 years resp.) as well!

But we will have to wait and see, time will tell.

And before somebody complains, YES, that is somewhat off topic; my apology.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2015-05-11 at 10:07. Reason: Typo
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    That is exactly what I can not do on 8,000 to 10,000 computers in private households distributed over ca. 2,500 square miles.
    If you never access those computers, how do you support them?

And they have the "cute" disclaimer in their announcements that goes something like "... for the lifetime of the device ...".
    That only means that Windows will be free for your current computer, but not necessarily for the next one.

Thanks
    If you use any Autodesk products on Windows 7, you are in for a rude awakening. You may have already found out that some of them will not run on Windows 8, and there is no way to save files for backwards compatibility. This actually, is an Autodesk issue designed to migrate people to a newer product, but since there are tons of people using Windows 7 it presents a problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully MS will have a compatibility check tool for windows 10. There are always some compatibility issues. A lot of old software and hardware doesn't get updated or the maker is no longer in business. There is no 100% guarantee for upgrades and existing software and hardware. Also just the upgrade process itself is well known to cause problems. I realize we are using beta software now but plenty of people have encountered problems going the upgrade route just with Windows 10 and newer versions.
    Joe

jwoods
    My customers mostly are, in their own words, computer illiterate. They simply can't give me a sort of complete list of what they are using.
    Actually, they can.

In the link to the Upgrade Assistant posted above, there is a screenshot of the Review Compatibility Report screen. On that screen, there is a link labeled "See compatibility details".

Review Screen.png

Clicking on that link shows the detailed report, with the option to save it as an html file (the default) by clicking the Save button.

Even if MS does come out with a Win 10 Upgrade Assistant, "someone" will have to run it.

In the scenario you described, who will help all these users if they just upgrade to Win 10, and then have issues?

An ounce of prevention...
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-11 at 15:20.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-05-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with jwoods and that was also my intent in one of my prior posts but he explained it better
    --- When advising someone to do this, ask them to print the report and then provide it to you since you essentially cannot do it for them but for however many you can handle that printed report is more valuable than someone not knowing or guessing what they have for compatibility issues
    --- Another thing I find easy and informative is to use belarc. Their report is pretty easy to read as to what they have on their computers

@djohnson what is an example of an autodesk product on Windows 7?
    --- If there is an incompatibility issue with Windows 10, will it be reported when running the 8.1 upgrade program?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    If you never access those computers, how do you support them?
    The vast majority has computers that just "hum along". If they did something careless and get sufficiently annoyed they call me and I am there, remotely or in person. That is my job.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast