3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where should Eudora data be stored?

I'm using Win 7 and have a problem with an HP laptop that their support cannot fix and they want me to reset it to factory fresh. One of the programs I will have to re-install is Eudora. At present its data is stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora\Data\ . However I read the following in Google Groups in response to a question about Eudora Data:

"If you are about to install on Vista or Windows 7, be sure to run the installer, and when the installer asks where you will keep your mail, NEVER give any location
    that is in the system "program files" area or else you will be back later to complain of many problems, because recent versions of Windows do not allow applications
    to write new files or update old files in that area!"

I've never had any problems with the address book or mail boxes, but where should I store it?

Thanks,

David

Thanks
    Normally such installs put data files somewhere within users [your acct] appdata local [dir] and appdata roaming [dir]. a few even use ProgramData. I recommend letting Eudora pick default places or you can specify a data directory of your choice.
    Apparently what some try to do is force installs into un-natural system or program directories not intended for any data files.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2015-05-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input. The quote from Google Groups (which was posted in 2009) goes on to say:-

"By the same token, NEVER copy any existing files directly into the system "program files" area, even if you used to "migrate" in this way, because Vista and Windows 7 are much stricter about security than any previous versions, even when you log in as an "administrator."

"Other applications are also subject to exactly the same rules; the only reason that their users don't get into the same trouble as Eudora users is that their installers don't ask where to keep anything -- they automatically put user data in the right place, whereas Eudora's installer makes the grave mistake of putting that decision into the hands of people who do not know what trouble lies down the road if they choose to put user data in the wrong area under system "program files."

So although that guy seems to have strong opinions about the Eudora installer, and not putting anything in "Program Files", he doesn't make it clear as to where it should be put. Maybe Win 7 isn't so picky about using "\Program Files (x86)\"? It has been such a long time since I actually installed Eudora that I can't now remember how I came to have the data in the Eudora folder.

So I'll go with your suggestion of \AppData\Local\, seems logical.

Thanks again,

David

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows 7 and above re-directs data from Program Files.

I would put the data in My Documents\Eudora. Then you always know where your mail is and can back it up with your other data - you do back up regularly, don't you?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The best thing about Eudora (I assume you're talking Eudora 7) is that it is ridiculously easy to install, reinstall and back up. Install it as administrator in your data partition - say D:\Data (or My documents), and request it to also save its data (ie, mailboxes, nicknames etc) to D:\Eudora. Then (i) your mailboxes will be easy to find and backup (just sync the whole Eudora folder to your backup drive) and (ii) it can be reinstalled on the same or any other computer by simply copying the whole backed up folder to the new location, and reinstalling Eudora over the top. I have done this on around 15 computers over 20 years or so. Works fine on Windows 8, and hoping it will still work on 10.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggetions. I'm using a laptop at the moment, a 250GB SSD is the only drive, except for a 1TB USB 3 drive which I use for bulky data, like photos, but it's not connected all the time. So My Documents\Eudora\ does seem likwe a very logical place.

David

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Ever since Windows XP, I've always put my Eudora folder in C:/Eudora. It keeps it simple and completely self contained. I use Eudora 7, of course, and hope I never have to give it up! There's never been a better email program!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OffTopic/

You should also use your external 1TB drive to backup your SSD.

/OffTopic

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You will get very good advice from the Eudora Listserv, a long-time users group filled with Eudora experts (and past employees, I'm pretty sure). To subscribe, send an email to join-eudora-win@hades.listmoms.net, and put Gazelle in the Subject line.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still using Eudora 6.2.5.6 My mailboxes and other data are all in the place the original program selected:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora\[mailboxes, etc.]