2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Issue with Windows System Image

I have a new PC with not much on it, other than an initial Windows 7HP install that I did myself. The PC is homebuilt. I installed the utilities that came with the motherboard(ASRock x99 Extreme 6). When I first installed the OS, the Device Manager was loaded with the yellow exclamations, but loading the chipset, USB utilities, etc., solved all that and DManagerwas clean.

So, I get out my external hard drive and make a system image in Windows backup screen and the system image was made apparently without a problem.

Now, here is the fun part. I go back and try to restore the system using the image I just created to test it. I get to the first blue screen that asks if I want to use a US keyboard only I have no keyboard or mouse. While I understand Windows System Image capability is not the best, that does not seem to be a good thing. It goes w/o saying that the system image is not any good to me if it disables stuff. I did have trouble with the USB ports in the beginning, but installing the utilities with mobo disk seemed to solve the problematic ports.

I certainly intend to use another backup program, but this was a bit disconcerting. Fortunately a restart did not eat my initial Windows install. Can anyone tell me why that happened?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    How exactly are you trying to restore the image?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    How exactly are you trying to restore the image?
    I started the process on the same screen where I made the system image and the repair disk; I selected "recover system settings or your computer"; then from "restore this computer to an earlier point in time", I selected "Advanced Recovery Methods" and then "Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer". (My image was saved on a freshly formatted external backup drive with nothing on it but the newly made system image). Then a black screen came up with a "loading Windows files" message at the bottom, with the next screen the blue one asking what keyboard I wanted to use.....but like I said neither keyboard or mouse was functional.

Diane

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have a system repair disc? If so, have you tried recovering the image using the disc? If not, why not?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have a system repair disc? If so, have you tried recovering the image using the disc? If not, why not?
    I didn't try recovering the image using the system repair disk. I did not know the system repair disk was necessary if the system wasn't damaged. This was a trial run to see if I could restore the image, not to repair a problem.

Do you have any inkling tho' why the keyboard and mouse didn't function? They were working before this exercise. Thanks for your patience. Just trying to understand what happened.

D.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To restore from an external HDD you usually you have to boot up into the Advanced Boot options, select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment, plug the external HDD in - wait for it to light up then select the "one I made earlier" option.

Booting up with a Repair disk will get you into the Advanced Boot options as well.

If your keyboard and mouse are still not working then try unplugging them, power shutdown, reboot and plug them back in.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    To restore from an external HDD you usually you have to boot up into the Advanced Boot options, select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment, plug the external HDD in - wait for it to light up then select the "one I made earlier" option.

Booting up with a Repair disk will get you into the Advanced Boot options as well.

If your keyboard and mouse are still not working then try unplugging them, power shutdown, reboot and plug them back in.
    Perhaps I plugged the external drive to soon then. It was already installed when I selected "to use the image made earlier". My mouse & keyboard were working properly both before and after this aborted effort. Thanks for answering.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No, you put the external disk in just fine which gives Windows time to locate the device being restored from, but you said earlier that you started the restore from the same place as you created the system image.

That isn't the Recovery Environment where the first option is Startup Repair - that is why Rui asked why you hadn't tried it by booting up with the Repair disk so that you could navigate to the Recovery Environment.

Follow the steps I've posted and see how that fares.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    I didn't try recovering the image using the system repair disc. I did not know the system repair disk was necessary if the system wasn't damaged. This was a trial run to see if I could restore the image, not to repair a problem.

Do you have any inkling tho' why the keyboard and mouse didn't function? They were working before this exercise. Thanks for your patience. Just trying to understand what happened.

D.
    I don't regularly use Windows native imaging, so I am not aware of the specifics of restoring an image other than through the repair disk (which I have tried a couple times). When you boot from a repair disk, you have a basic environment, with also basic drivers for things like the mouse, keyboard and external discs. This would probably make it likelier that your keyboard and mouse would work, but I can't be sure.

If you want to test your image, I would also recommend testing from the repair. In case you have a problem with your system drive, you will have to resort to booting from the repair disc, so it's also important that you test to see if everything works in such a circumstance. So, couple both these circumstances and you can understand why I would mostly try to restore an image after booting from the repair disc.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't regularly use Windows native imaging, so I am not aware of the specifics of restoring an image other than through the repair disk (which I have tried a couple times). When you boot from a repair disk, you have a basic environment, with also basic drivers for things like the mouse, keyboard and external discs. This would probably make it likelier that your keyboard and mouse would work, but I can't be sure.

If you want to test your image, I would also recommend testing from the repair disc. In case you have a problem with your system drive, you will have to resort to booting from the repair disc, so it's also important that you test to see if everything works in such a circumstance. So, couple both these circumstances and you can understand why I would mostly try to restore an image after booting from the repair disc.

Thanks very much. What you say makes sense to me. I will take both your suggestion and that of the OP. If I still have issues, I'll be back.

D.

Thanks
    Let me suggest another possibility. I have noticed in my attempts to make USB boot disks to install windows that my USB Mouse and Keyboard may not always be active/recognized? upon boot. Moving the mouse during boot seems to help the OS recognize both mouse and keyboard. ( I know that is not what you are doing but I imagine that the windows system is in a similar state when a setup disk in booted as when a repair option is selected.)

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.