Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual boot on separate hard drive?

Can I install 10 preview in a dual boot and install it on a second drive - without partitioning my C: drive?

If so, any links and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Can I install 10 preview in a dual boot and install it on a second drive - without partitioning my C: drive?
    Should be able to, lots of discussion here and on www.tenforums.com.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joro View Post

If so, any links and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Joro,

YES. Simply install it to the drive you want. When it's done & you boot screen comes up offering choice of either OS.

However, you can, also, install on a separate drive & not have dual-boot but, rather, have each OS boot individually, no shared boot ini. It is an ideal method & is explained HERE

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43065

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton and Drew.

I've installed 10 on a separate drive, and from the BIOS can choose which drive will boot, but I get a twinge of anxiety going into my BIOS with any frequency.

I wonder if there's a configuration file (like there was in XP) that opens before Windows starts that would let me choose which drive - without accessing the BIOS. A kind of a DOS level dual boot text file.

Interesting to note, when I shut down 10 and then reboot into 7, I get the black screen that asks if I want Safe Mode, repair or normal boot. Normal brings up 7 without any glitches.

Thanks
    ...I get a twinge of anxiety going into my BIOS with any frequency...
    Most computers have a "Boot Options" dialog accessed by pressing a function key, often F12, Esc, F2, etc, after power-on but before Windows begins to load.

...when I shut down 10 and then reboot into 7, I get the black screen that asks if I want Safe Mode, repair or normal boot...
    Try turning Win10's "Fast Startup" feature off: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

When I first installed Win10TP back in October last year I was dual-booting with Win7. Whenever I shut 10 down then booted to 7 chkdsk would run on the Win7 partition. After some Googling I found that the cause was Win10's "Fast Startup" feature.

On the PC I have Win10TP on I don't see any noticeable difference in startup time whether "Fast Startup" is on or off.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Try turning Win10's "Fast Startup" feature off: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

When I first installed Win10TP back in October last year I was dual-booting with Win7. Whenever I shut 10 down then booted to 7 chkdsk would run on the Win7 partition. After some Googling I found that the cause was Win10's "Fast Startup" feature.
    I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Windows 7 with Windows 10 Fast Boot enabled with no issues. I'm using the Windows 10 boot loader. Did you use the Windows 7 boot loader?

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Windows 7 with Windows 10 Fast Boot enabled with no issues. I'm using the Windows 10 boot loader. Did you use the Windows 7 boot loader?
    Jerry
    No, I use BootIt Bare Metal: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm

BootItBM hides the inactive OS partition, yet somehow 10's fast boot was causing the chkdsk issue.

Soon after the chkdsk problem in my #5 post I decided to stop risking my main PC any more so moved Win10 to one of my workbench PCs. 10 is installed to its own HDD that I connect when I want to boot 10.

It's probably time I set up another dual-boot HDD with 10 and 7 to see if the latest build has the same issue.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Joro,

As I had written w/ doing separate drives, separate boots, you should be able to use F12 to bring up just the boot device list from which one can select instead of going into the BIOS. It might be another F key but, that should be indicated on the M/B screen.

I am running 8.1 & 10 this way, in the same box, myself.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43067

Thanks
    Some PCs don't have a Function key option to select the boot drive.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am able to use the boot manager, and can choose which drive/OS, but I ran into the same problem as was noted above. When I booted back into Win7, chkdsk insisted on going through all four of my drives, sabout 3 TB.

Next time I'm in Win10, I'll turn off Fast Boot and then see what happens.

It took Win10 a much longer time to shut down, but I guess that was due to writing the hibernate files that Fast Boot uses.

I have another issue, that I started in a separate thread: Win10 is not filling up my screen, it's a full height square on a wide screen, a letterbox effect. If any one has thoughts on that, I'll be gratefull if you'll go to http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/168639-Can-t-get-a-full-screen-in-desktop-or-anything-else

Thanks
    Re the chkdsk issue in my #5 and #7 posts I have since set up a HDD with BootItBM, Win7, Win10TP, and Data partitions. After checking that I could dual-boot between 7 and 10 I turned on 10's "fast startup" then shut the PC down.

I then powered-on, and chose Win7 in BootItBM's boot menu. Chkdsk ran on the Win7 partition just as I described in my #5 post.

EDIT: an "hiberfil.sys" file has appeared in the root directory of the Win7 partition. Hibernation is turned off in Win7, so the file must have been written by Win10's "fast startup". Clearly this is what was causing Win7 to run chkdsk.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-05-10 at 20:09. Reason: more info

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ran across this while exploring idle maintenance and thought of this thread:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-05-11)

Thanks

BCDboot

FN this is interesting thank you

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    FWIW: Fastboot can affect partition information in a dual boot setup using two hard drives. This is the source of the chkdsk runs mentioned in other posts. Also, dual booting two Windows OS's will likely corrupt the System Restore files for both systems, as each will write to the other's System Volume Information folders.

I dual boot Windows 7/8.1 with fastboot disabled and System Restore disabled for both. I rely on drive images for backup. Also, the BCD Store contains the pertinent GUID's for drives and boot menu options, etc, but it is bootmgr that reads the BCD Store and actually displays the boot menu. Winload.exe (in BIOS) or Winload.efi (in UEFI) does the heavy lifting of actually booting the OS selected.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    As I stated earlier, I dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 with Windows 10 Fast Boot enabled using the Windows 10 Boot Loader. I have no issues with chkdsk . I also retain all my Windows 7 System Restore Points. I only enable System Restore on the OS disk in each Operating System. I think the difference is I don't use a third party boot loader which may not handle the Windows 10 differences.

I have chosen to use both System Restore and weekly drive images.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast