5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Send and receive order in Outlook accounts

Outlook 2003

Outlook sends/receives to/from each Account in its All Accounts Group, in the order in which it has them listed.

How can I change the order of the list so as to change the order in which Outlook processes the accounts ?

This is the list which I refer to:
    • Send/Receive
    • Send/Receive Settings
    • Define Send/Receive Groups . . .
    • All Accounts
    • Edit

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    May I ask why is the order important?

As far as I can tell, the accounts are ordered according to the order with which they were added to your Outlook. I don't know of a way of changing that order, other than removing and adding accounts in a way that the final order reflects your desired order.

It could also be possible to create as many new send / receive groups and add selectively include accounts in such groups, so that the groups order and the accounts order within the groups would result in your desired order, but this looks a bit too complex to me, especially if you want many changes to the existing order.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib

Thanks for the reply.

I was having problems with sending email - the first account in the list is the one which Outlook sends mail "from".

But I have now found that I can achieve the result I want by unchecking "send" from the accounts I don't want mail sent from by
    Outlook.

Martin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    ruirib

Thanks for the reply.

I was having problems with sending email - the first account in the list is the one which Outlook sends mail "from".

But I have now found that I can achieve the result I want by unchecking "send" from the accounts I don't want mail sent from by
    Outlook.

Martin
    Yes, that sounds like a solution. Glad you found it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ordering Send/Receive

Send/Receive follows the precedent set in Account Settings.

Go to Tools\Account Settings to see the list of your accounts.

In the toolbar above the names of the accounts, from left to right you'll see New, Repair, Change, Set As Default, Remove and at the far right end of that list you'll see two arrows pointing up and down. By default the cursor will be on the first name in the list, so only the Down arrow will be colored and available.

Place your cursor on the second account name in the list, and both Up and Down arrows will be colored and available. If you click either of the arrows, the name highlighted by your cursor will move either Up or Down compliant with whichever arrow you click.

Once you change the order of your accounts in Account Settings, then Send/Receive will process email in order corresponding to the order of accounts in Account Settings.

Happy Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Outlook 2003

Outlook sends/receives to/from each Account in its All Accounts Group, in the order in which it has them listed.

How can I change the order of the list so as to change the order in which Outlook processes the accounts ?

This is the list which I refer to:
    • Send/Receive
    • Send/Receive Settings
    • Define Send/Receive Groups . . .
    • All Accounts
    • Edit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's always a setting in Microsoft apps, but I can't always find it !

Thanks for helping to find this one (very early on Friday here).