Star Lounger
    Thanks

Myriad of connectivity issues

Turned my laptop off and went on vacation for 4 days. On return, I had a message that my copy of Windows 7 was not genuine and I had no connectivity at all. I plugged in my Product Validation Code for Win7 but still no connectivity:

1. The laptop's Wireless connection has "Limited Access" but every other device - - tablet and two phones - - have Internet access through the router. I conclude that the router is not the problem. NetGear Genie cannot solve the problem with the laptop.

2. I hooked the laptop to a direct feed from the modem and got a script instead of immediate connection. All attempts to reach the modem end with "Modem Error 651". Looking this up on line gives many solutions but none that work.

3. Hooked the tablet to the computer to download a script. The laptop sees the tablet but cannot generate it's list of files. On second attempt, it doesn't see the tablet at all.

4. NetGear Genie tells me "Network Adapter is disabled. Attempts to enable it results in another error message "Diagnostic Policy Service is not running". I reset it to 'Manual' and attempted to start it but this did not work. I set it back to 'Automatic '.

I have spent two days and nights on this with no results and a big list of unhelpful fixes, most of which seem confused about menus and process steps. Before I spend the big bucks, I have two questions.
    - If it's hardware, what broke?
    - If it's software, how do I fix it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks
    My favorite starting point is always to run sfc /scannow from an elevated Command Prompt. The possibility exists that corrupted system files can confound any troubleshooting issues with erroneous results, so I like to get that out of the way first.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Magna (2015-05-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for helping. After two days of fussing and fuming, I turned it over to a pro. They have spent a day running their script of fixes and tests and it still won't connect. It recognizes their Wireless signal (as it did mine) but offers only 'Limited Connectivity'. I suppose it's a hardware issue. $$$ I'll let you know.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JWITALKA posted a successful fix to a similar problem in another thread. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my problem. Also, it is not a wireless problem. A direct ethernet connection produces the same limited connection. We are now taking Kaspersky off to see if the protection software is in the way. Great fun!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And... The man says it's a hard disk problem. What I hear as a subtext is that he is sick of it and it's taking too much of his time so why not make a piece of change. As support, he says chkdsk hangs at 14% for hours, so maybe he is right. I'm sick of it, too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magna View Post
    And... The man says it's a hard disk problem. What I hear as a subtext is that he is sick of it and it's taking too much of his time so why not make a piece of change. As support, he says chkdsk hangs at 14% for hours, so maybe he is right. I'm sick of it, too.
    That is a good indication, alright. I hope you have backups. Most HDD manufacturers have free downloadable diagnostic utilities for their drives. You could try that if you want verification.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try chkdsk in read-only mode without any parameters as that may not hang with it not trying to fix anything, but should report if it has found any corruption or bad sectors.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Magna (2015-05-19)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I got it back from the shop without its programs and the files are a mess but it does connect. It wasn't hardware. I have an image backup I'm going to install to see if I can get everything back and keep the connectivity. I suppose that is too much to ask. Anyone ever done an image back-up? I need my hand held to calm my nerves. Think I'll run another back-up so I can get back to where I am now -- in a mess but manageable.

jwoods
    I do disk image backups at least once a week...sooner if I'm making major changes to a system.

Situations like this are what they are for, so follow your software vendor's guidelines for restoring your image.

It usually means using a vendor boot disk to run the restore outside of Windows.

I agree that making a new disk image of what you have now is a good idea, in case restoring from an earilier image re-introduces the problem, since you mentioned it was not a hardware issue.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Magna (2015-05-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magna View Post
    Well, I got it back from the shop without its programs and the files are a mess but it does connect. It wasn't hardware. I have an image backup I'm going to install to see if I can get everything back and keep the connectivity. I suppose that is too much to ask. Anyone ever done an image back-up? I need my hand held to calm my nerves. Think I'll run another back-up so I can get back to where I am now -- in a mess but manageable.
    Definitely make an image of how it is now before you do anything else, so you can get back to this should anything go wrong.

Unleash Windows

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Magna (2015-05-20)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm rebuilding it now. Not too awful. Repaired the horrible file structure the shop left me. Got most major programs reinstalled. I'm trying to find my numbers for Office without success but Open Office isn't bad for now. Only a few heavily nested files in Excel won't open.

I did have an issue with iTunes. The files came back without ratings and playlists. Since I have over 2500 classical recordings and another 2500 in other genres and about 50 playlists, this was a problem. I solved it by removing the two libraries completely (big gulp) and pulled over the two libraries from my back-up. Voila! The ratings and playlists came back!

jwoods
    Good news! With the experience you've gained, you'll be able to help someone else someday.

If you are considering alternatives to Office, take a look at Libre Office as well...

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Good news! With the experience you've gained, you'll be able to help someone else someday.

If you are considering alternatives to Office, take a look at Libre Office as well...

https://www.libreoffice.org/
    I considered LibreOffice originally but it had a slightly lower rating. There are some problems with OpenOffice and perhaps you can tell me if LibreOffice can handle them:
    1. A data-intense MSOffice spreadsheet with 12 sheets and several linkages between pages will not load at all in OpenOffice.
    2. An MSOffice spreadsheet with 8 sheets and graphs on each page will not load.
    3. Alt= does not produce a field with =Sum(Range 1:Range n) -- a major problem in the work I do. I build spreadsheets using this function every day several times a day.
    4. The color match between OpenOffice and MS Office is simply not there. I can't find the 'right' green' or the 'right' yellow to match existing fields. (I know...picky, picky, but this is a big problem in a color-keyed data set.)

Is LibreOffice the answer? My wife wants me to buy another copy of MSOffice so SHE won't have to learn a new system.