New Lounger
    Thanks

How to limit kids usage and NOT allow form submission

The child in question signs up myself/partner for all kinds of special offers (usually to get tokens/coins/etc. on gaming sites) and we would like to take this ability away without removing the ability to play the games. So in essence, make the submit button not work or something along those lines.

Thanks
    Are the games browser-based, or, standalones [I mean after being downloaded & installed]? You may be left with installing a consequence for each time you get signed up without your permission. I read advice columns and most of them indicate simply setting up a fitting X consequence for x action, dispassionately following through each and every time. I've never been a parent, so let me know how that works in the parent/child world.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The submit button can take several forms in different applications and defeating all of them is probably not possible.
    Does the sign up happen in a consistent form? If so you may be able to write a routine in AutoIt that will prevent the action.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    strictly browser based. not sure if it will work but i will look into it

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The submit button can take several forms in different applications and defeating all of them is probably not possible.
    Does the sign up happen in a consistent form? If so you may be able to write a routine in AutoIt that will prevent the action.

cheers, Paul
    I'll have to look into AutoIt and maybe can work something out. Since it is standard online forms (surveys,mortgage quotes,etc.) I kind of assumed this would be a difficult thing to block all together. Thanx for the ida, I will still keep my eyes posted for ideas.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmeat View Post
    The child in question signs up myself/partner for all kinds of special offers (usually to get tokens/coins/etc. on gaming sites) and we would like to take this ability away without removing the ability to play the games. So in essence, make the submit button not work or something along those lines.
    The child should have their own limited user account. That way they cannot launch a app. All of you should have a similarly limited account and the admin account with a password that will allow you to approve of app launches with the password when you need it.

The child should have their own email address...that way they don't use yours///you may need to change yours now.

I would look at OpenDNS parental control options. May not be what you are looking for, but I am concerned.

Certain full antiviral packages will monitor for certain information going out on the web or stored in cookies and block it. Identity protection.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmeat View Post
    "Family Safety" might do what you want.

If you have Win7 see "Set up Family Safety": http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fety=windows-7

If you have Win8.1 see "Keep your kids safer on the PC": http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../family-safety
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    The child should have their own limited user account. That way they cannot launch a app. All of you should have a similarly limited account and the admin account with a password that will allow you to approve of app launches with the password when you need it.

The child should have their own email address...that way they don't use yours///you may need to change yours now.

I would look at OpenDNS parental control options. May not be what you are looking for, but I am concerned.

Certain full antiviral packages will monitor for certain information going out on the web or stored in cookies and block it. Identity protection.
    All of these things are in place, but that does not forbid filling out forms to sign up for things. I will have to look into OpenDNS parental control. Not sure I want to check into something like a Internet suite since they tend to be much more hassle then they are worth. But I suppose if that is the only option, I may have to. Thanks for the info.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    "Family Safety" might do what you want.

If you have Win7 see "Set up Family Safety": http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fety=windows-7

If you have Win8.1 see "Keep your kids safer on the PC": http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../family-safety
    Yeah, I am aware of family safety, but nothing in there would prevent this from occurring aside from a site by site block which would be impossible to do. Thank you anyway

Banned Member
    Thanks
    This may well offer a simple solution... use the Parental Controls in the OS. They are quite granular & can address a 3 of issues & concerns.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43111