Thread: hotspot network

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hotspot network

is there a way that I can connect my cell phone hotspot to my router and NAS. That way I could have internet access through the router.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Normally that's done via the wireless connection on your phone. What sort of phone? Does it have wifi / wireless?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Done via wifi or USB port. "Tethering" Your cell provider likely has instructions for tethering. And maybe additional charges too. :-( Besides Paul's questions who is your provider?

Thanks
    Maybe what the op wants is to use his router to connect to the internet with his phone. Perhaps clarification will ensue ....
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes it is possible but most routers do not support this. On a Peplink Surf SOHO, the feature is called "Wifi as WAN", so Googling that may find other routers that also support this feature. In English, this lets the router take the WiFi hotspot from your cellphone and use it as input, that is, use it for its Internet access (the WAN in the name). This lets Ethernet devices get online when your main ISP is down.

On my router, it left the normal WiFi network on, so the router was doing WiFi as both input and output. It worked fine on my router for an entire day when my ISP failed. Used it with two different cellphones.