2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting Browsing History

Perhaps I don't understand the whole concept, but I thought it would be a good thing to help keep one's computer free of 'old stuff' such as all of these temporary files, etc one gathers up while browsing the internet. So I have my Windows 7 machine set to 'Delete Browser History' upon shut down each night.

But I don't know that it is doing its job?? Next morning just as I am getting ready to go browsing I sometimes have trouble getting the darn computer operating properly and without excessive delays, not responding, etc. I then go to the Control panel and select Internet Opinions, then select 'delete browsing history'. Wow, it sure takes a fairly long time at this task??.....why?,... it should have deleted it when I exited the night before?

When I subsequently checked on some of these files that were in the history, I had a TON of ones related to imaging subjects, and repeated over and over again? I tried to make a copy of them, or at least a portion of them to include with this posting, but it would only select them individually, and even then did not allow the right click save a copy??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go Start - type %temp% and press enter when Temp comes up.

If the folder is highly populated then click on Organize - Select all - Organize - Delete - Confirm then check the box if just the Debug file is left or any small sized ones then click on Skip.

I use the free version of CCleaner to clean out the temp file cache at the end of every session which keeps those down so they don't slow the computer up.

I also have IE to delete on close, but I have all of the boxes checked.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try that suggestion, but I do have one question about deleting all the boxes?

I don't have it deleting passwords as I'm on to many forums so often that would be a pain in the butte.
    And I don't have it deleting 'cookies and website data'

I also do not understand the "Preserve Favorites website data" box under this "delete browser history" ??
    If I check that box does it mean I delete this data?,....or does it mean I preserve it??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    I also do not understand the "Preserve Favorites website data" box under this "delete browser history" ??
    If I check that box does it mean I delete this data?,....or does it mean I preserve it??
    Preserve.

But aren't you using Firefox?

How to clear the Firefox cache