Thanks

10074 Upgrade in Hardware

This morning I did my routine maintenance on my resurrected Inspiron 580 with Windows 7 Pro, ran a full drive image backup of my SSD with Image For Windows, plugged in my 10074 USB stick and ran the in-place upgrade (I've been running in a Hyper V VM on my desktop). I was running Remote Desktop to the 580, and the upgrade got lost in the process, and reverted to Windows 7 Pro. I connected mouse/keyboard/monitor directly and tried it again, and it proceeded without a hitch the second time.

It appears that all my settings, programs and utilities have been retained; Malwarebytes, Revo, Image For Windows, printer software, etc. This machine has a Kingston 240GB SSD (on SATA I, not SATA III, which the motherboard does not support) and 16GB RAM. I had given the VM 8 GB RAM, but it's running much smoother in hardware than it was on the VM.

The menu behaved much better this time as far as narrowing it down. Before I had to move the tiles before the menu would shrink. This time I tried shrinking first again, and surprise, the six-wide tile grouping snapped to three wide seamlessly. All my Favorites and my Favorites Bar transitioned to Project Spartan/Edge, which is running fine except that I haven't yet gotten it to remember my windows size vs opening in full screen all the time.

Office 2000 seems to run just fine. I've tried Word and Excel so far. My next move is to get Remote Desktop setup once again so that I can remote into this machine from my main desktop.

>>> edit - setting up Remote Desktop was fairly painless, and that's how I'm accessing the 580 now. I had Windows 7 Pro setup to notify for Updates but not install, and I've been piddlin' around trying to find a way to undo that setting in Windows 10, since it carried through in the upgrade. - <<<
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-05-12 at 16:50. Reason: update
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Finally, last night Project Spartan/Edge remembered my window preference and stopped opening full screen. I no longer have to deflate it to a small window and then resize it (right-click on the title bar, select Size and drag to bottom right corner to where I want it). Only took two days!

I'm using a slideshow background, and whereas in 7 and 8 there's a fade/transition to the next slide, in 10 it just snaps to the next slide. I'm guessing that's just something that they haven't bothered to implement just yet.

And I finally found the setting options to re-enable automatic updates. My VM was a clean install, and this upgrade incorporates some of the Windows 7 Pro behaviors into the Windows 10 way of doing things. I think I'll delve into that a bit more, comparing the VM clean install to the upgrade in hardware from Windows 7.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows