Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

"Administrator" not working

I am running Win7 Pro. Because this is a home computer, we have not found it necessary to run separate user accounts.

We have one account titled "User" which is designated "Administrator". Normally, I have no problem installing new programs,etc.

But too often the following example occurs:

Am trying to uninstall Dragol, an app downloaded in error. In Control Panel, when I locate the Dragol program and click on "uninstall" I get the following message, to wit :" Administrator status required"

But I am already running in Admin status. So what gives? Can anyone help me here?

Thanksw, peterb3

jwoods
    Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and expand Local Users and Groups

Click on the Groups folder and select Administrators.

See if the account "User" is in the list.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Even though you are an administrator you do not quite have full rights. Try this:
    1. Close Control Panel.
    2. Open a Command Prompt as administrator by right clicking on its icon and selecting Run as administrator.
    3. Fire up the Add/Remove panel by typing: appwiz.cpl
    4. Remove the app.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and expand Local Users and Groups

Click on the Groups folder and select Administrators.

See if the account "User" is in the list.
    There are two items listed: Administrator and User

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul but now there is a new problem - Dragol is no longer listed in the programs in Remove Programs of Control Panel! But it still shows up if I right click the IE icon ( altho I have disabled it in IE).

jwoods
    If you go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Accounts, is the "User" account Administrator, or a Standard User?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In User Account 'User" is shown as 'Administrator" (I don't have a 'Manage Accounts")

P

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb3 View Post
    In User Account 'User" is shown as 'Administrator" (I don't have a 'Manage Accounts")P
    Sorry...should have said the link, "Manage another account".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Thanks Paul but now there is a new problem - Dragol is no longer listed in the programs in Remove Programs of Control Panel! But it still shows up if I right click the IE icon ( altho I have disabled it in IE).
    It appears you have a problem with the context menu. See if Nirsoft's Shell Extensions Manager helps.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Resetting IE to defaults could get rid of it in IE but give AdwCleaner a run followed by Junkware Removal Tool should there be any dregs left - but restore points to prior its infection could be the best fix.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

The link for JRT is lower down the AdwCleaner page.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-05-13 at 19:41.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter, I occasionally run across the same problem (wish I knew why). I find that re-booting returns your administrative status (again, wish I knew why).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK did that and am back at screen that shows 'User' account as administrator and 'Guest' account as inactive. Problem still remains. Thanks

Pete

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See if your current status will allow you to download and run AdwCleaner and JRT from my previous links to see if they return your normal admin account status.

If not then reactivate the hidden admin account and create a new normal admin account and then you can delete the old one if the new one works.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15 - Thanks for your help. I,m going to drop this subject now because:
    1) Dragol disappeared, first from Control Panel, then later from IE. Poof, problem solved by the MS genies!
    2( No problems downloading Adware and JRT except JRT froze computer. Will try setting up new admin account as suggested and will have to wait and see if problem arises again.
    Pete

jwoods
    Sudo15 - Thanks for your help. I,m going to drop this subject now because:
    1) Dragol disappeared, first from Control Panel, then later from IE. Poof, problem solved by the MS genies!
    2( No problems downloading Adware and JRT except JRT froze computer. Will try setting up new admin account as suggested and will have to wait and see if problem arises again.
    Pete
    JRT can take a while to complete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast