2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's the best macro app

Since XP, I've used a simple free macro app called Texter. It didn't use almost any memory, writing to a default file that stayed in AppData. It worked in Win7 and 8, but I had to go back to an XP machine to edit or create macros and then send the modified file to 7.

I'd like to be able to use a few keystrokes to insert strings and even paragraphs in 10. I'm sure there are much more Win10 compatible macro programs out there. If any one has a favorite that isn't too thirsty for memory, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The question that arises is "you do know Win10 is only in a testing phase, don't you?". As with all previous test versions of an Operating System many third-party programmers tend to wait until the final version of an OS is known, pretty much a waste of programming resources until the interaction with the OS can be determined and backup support is forthcoming from the publisher of the OS. Sometimes all we can do is wait and hope that software publishers decide to update their programs for the newer OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I still need a good macro app that works like Texter. I'll try on the General Windows forum.

Just to verify I'm not a newbie, I was on the original Windows team, some 40 years ago, when we finally got Windows 0.9 GUI working with a bus mouse that required an additional card in our machines that only had 640K of RAM. If I ask dumb questions, and I do, it's probably because I'm 80 and the senior moments are becoming senior days.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Autoit is not as simple as you've described but it is free.

Joe

jwoods
    Several alternatives to Texter listed on this site...

http://alternativeto.net/software/texter/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a few programs that do what I want, but the best, easiest and most like Texter, is ShortKeys. Their standard program has virtually unlimited macros for $25, or Shortkeys Lite, which is free with a limit of 15 macros. Both are working well in Windows 10 Preview.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Issue solved.

After trying a number of programs that either didn't do the job (like ShortKeys, which would not insert text string in some locations) or were so huge and complex, total overkill, that I uninstalled them. I was about to give up when I realized that I hadn't tried Texter because I wasn't able to create or modify the macros in Win7 (I had to do that in my old XP laptop and then export the macro file to 7). But after the frustrating experience with the freebies and some of the shareware trials, I thought I'd install Texter and see what happens.

Eureka! It works perfectly, both in 8.1 and 10 preview (build 10125).