New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows updates installed without permission

I have Windows Updates set to Download but let me decide when to install. Expecting some updates today, I checked I had indeed got it set that way.

I shut down ready to take my laptop out with me, with just a few minutes to spare when it said "Installing 28 updates - please don't switch off"! So I thumped the desk in anger and frustration and did just that.

This is MY computer and I'M in charge round here.

Having just done a non-destructive repair install to recover from months of trouble with a small but growing number failed updates, I needed to clone my hard disk to an SSD before updates are applied so I could apply them both to the HD and SSD separately to eliminate (if possible) the suspicion that the cloning process to a previous SSD which had started causing blue screens was the reason why certain updates failed.

I've now set Windows Updates to "Never Check" and unchecked all downloaded updates, but they get checked again whenever I go back into Windows update.

Of course we need to patch often and patch fast, but there are times when we need to be control. And Microsoft's reputation for patch quality hasn't been totally untarnished in recent months. I had to do a full reinstall on a friend's computer some months ago after a failed update had left it unbootable.

Regards - Philip

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hate to say it but simply put, there are some updates we can't avoid or delay.

Thanks
    The best setting is: Notify me when there are updates ready for downloading and installing. That setting presents me with the menu of each update, type of update.
    I choose either to: hide any particular update, not check particular boxes at that time, and checkmark which boxes [updates] I want to allow during that session.
    Any other option chosen leaves one open to "pushed" updates.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I use "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" for every Windows installation I have with the exception of Windows 10 Insider Preview. I haven't had a "pushed" update on any of my other Windows machines.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    With the setting of "download but let me choose", Windows will always want to install updates when you restart or shut down. You can try postponing the update process by clicking on the update icon and selecting a postpone interval but I can't remember if that gets around installing the updates on a restart or shut down..

Joe

Thanks
    bbearren said it most accurately: Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them -- I could not remember the precise wording
    By "pushed," I mean updates that were downloaded but not installed, somehow they were installed before Windows logon screen and/or after Windows was exited.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    With the setting of "download but let me choose", Windows will always want to install updates when you restart or shut down. You can try postponing the update process by clicking on the update icon and selecting a postpone interval but I can't remember if that gets around installing the updates on a restart or shut down..

Joe
    Before I changed mine to Check for updates... when I got that alert on the Shutdown I used to type windows update in the search box - press enter and click on where it tells you what is on offer, then uncheck the top box and click OK which deselects those in the section you are looking at and do it for both Important and Optional.

That will give you some breathing space to change the settings or leave them to a more convenient time.

Thanks
    Personally, I have always checked "Never check for updates" and then manually check a couple times per month other than the regular Update Tuesday.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I use "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" for every Windows installation I have with the exception of Windows 10 Insider Preview. I haven't had a "pushed" update on any of my other Windows machines.
    Same here.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    set to disable and use Windows Updates Downloader and after d/loading use a batch file to install updates. literally minutes instead of hours.
    REMEMBER--- "if you don't play well with others, you could end up playing with yourself."