5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Duplicate patches add to the usual update confusion

PATCH WATCH

Duplicate patches add to the usual update confusion

By Susan Bradley

Sorting through Patch Tuesday releases is hard enough. But posting new patches in multiple security bulletins just makes the update process even harder. Adding to the chore of keeping our systems safe, some April nonsecurity fixes are showing up again in May.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/duplicate-patches-add-to-the-usual-update-confusion/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-06-10 at 14:00.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Susan.

You don't mention 3020369 and 3045645 although they are included in your separate patch chart among the 29th April releases and appear again in this week's updates. Although you list them in the chart they don't have any recommendation beside them. Could you please cover them in your next report?

Lounger
    Thanks
    In your column, you advise us to check to make sure we are running FF 38. I go into the help menu and see that I am running 37.0.2. When I select "check for updates", it returns that I am up to date. Should I assume that FF is wrong, that you are correct, and that a version 38 actually exists and that FF does not know it?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My up to date version is 37.0.2, so it seems to be a typo.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft seem to be taking the many reports of systems freezing very seriously and have allegedly (I say that because I haven't checked it out personally) pulled several of this week's updates already.

There would seem to be some merit in holding back on all the updates for another day or two to see how things turn out, especially as there is such uncertainty as to which of the updates is/are causing the issue - and I don't find the ctrl-alt-del fix particularly reassuring.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To all,
    I am running Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit) and Internet Explorer 11. Has anyone else seen the following problem after installing the May 12th Microsoft updates?

I installed all the updates and found that the System File Checker (SFC /scannow) now finds errors that it can't fix. (See attached image.) The CBS.log file that it creates shows lots of errors, so I ran the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool (DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth) and the attached resulting log file (CheckSUR.txt) clearly shows that there are 2 problems, both related to Internet Explorer (IE-Hyphenation and IE-Spelling packages).

Since there was only 1 update (KB3049563) that directly involved Internet Explorer, I uninstalled that update thinking I was 98% sure that it would resolve the issue. It didn't!!! I got exactly the same errors. Has anyone else seen this problem?
    Stu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gwilki View Post
    In your column, you advise us to check to make sure we are running FF 38. I go into the help menu and see that I am running 37.0.2. When I select "check for updates", it returns that I am up to date. Should I assume that FF is wrong, that you are correct, and that a version 38 actually exists and that FF does not know it?
    I've had one machine update to FF 38.0. I guess Mozilla is rolling it out in stages.

Joe

Thanks
    Firefox 38's initial release was bugged and rapidly pulled, it's since been replaced by 38.01, which might take 2-3 days before everyone can update to it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Firefox 38's initial release was bugged and rapidly pulled, it's since been replaced by 38.01, which might take 2-3 days before everyone can update to it.
    The full "offline" installer for FF 38.0.1 is available for download from: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

satrow (2015-05-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I love your column and try to apply the patches as prescribed, but I find it really difficult to correlate between Susan's list and the Windows Update list. It seems to me that it would be helpful to have a central list with the patch number as the common element, like the partial patch chart at the end of the column. Trying to integrate the narrative from above into the patch chart at the end gives me a headache. I just want to be able to look at the windows update generated list of proposals and quickly agree to or disable the individual patches. Any suggestions? I'm only batting about 80% between the article and the update suggestions.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I haven't found an easy way to do this because some of the updates are part of others and only appear in the text of the article. It may be easier to look for patches not to install and remove those.

cheers, Paul

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyrne View Post
    I just want to be able to look at the windows update generated list of proposals and quickly agree to or disable the individual patches. Any suggestions? I'm only batting about 80% between the article and the update suggestions.
    You can check it against the monthly Microsoft Security Bulletin.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ms15-may.aspx

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I haven't found an easy way to do this because some of the updates are part of others and only appear in the text of the article. It may be easier to look for patches not to install and remove those.

cheers, Paul
    April was a zoo. Office updates that impacted multiple KB numbers. .NET usual multiple KBs. this month was not easy in general.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After the install of the diagnostic update KB, all systems are reporting corruption that sfc /scannow cannot fix. Ignore this error it's totally bogus. Microsoft is aware and will be fixing this (hopefully soon)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2015-05-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    After the install of the diagnostic update KB, all systems are reporting corruption that sfc /scannow cannot fix. Ignore this error it's totally bogus. Microsoft is aware and will be fixing this (hopefully soon)
    Susan,

I know you know more about this than me, but what do you think pf this(?solution?):

Next:

In Powershell

Run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Run sfc /scannow (now it HAS Fixed)
    Run sfc /scannow (comes out clean)

I have found since W 8.n.u Pro, running SFC and DISM alternately several times, they clean up the corruption in Windows. It is also the only reason I left W 7 Pro SP 1 because the tools on that OS are only passive.

Crysta