5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virtual PC install kills host PC's networking

LANGALIST PLUS

Virtual PC install kills host PC's networking

By Fred Langa

When any sort of software activity torpedoes networking connections, it's usually easy to restore normal operations. Here's how. Plus: Questioning whether cloud-storage services are completely reliable, and possible IP-address hijacking gets a reader into legal trouble.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/virtual-pc-install-kills-host-pcs-networking/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the more likely risks of using the cloud is the increasingly recognized risk of EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) both natural and man-made. As solar activity builds this year, it looks more likably that a serious event is coming. Coupled with the continuing decline of US foreign policy encouraging a similar attack by Asian or Middle East powers is also becoming more likely. Reliance on the cloud is likely to become a risky proposition. In so far as it might make any difference, it is better not to rely solely on the cloud for one's critical resources.

Thanks
    Re: Cloud Backup

I use a cloud backup service as my primary/full "off premises" backups, the multi device syncing and being able to backup on the road being a plus.

However, given the potential of ANY provider suddenly being put out of business (legally, illegally, fiscally,physically), I also maintain my own "on premises" (& off line) backups of key files. My concession to the cloud was replacing my Buffalo Raid unit with a single hi quality USB drive when the former finally died, and locally backing up on a more casual schedule.

Also, had a client who almost lost all his cloud files for "non-payment" --- all the renewal notices were going to his ex-partner's email address.