Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why do I periodically lose this Start Menu item?

I have an address book saved as a Word 2003 document (entitled, oddly enough, Address Book).
    I navigate to the folder where my Word files are saved, and drag the file "Address Book.doc" to my start menu. This allows me to start the address book directly from the start menu.

However, I occasionally (maybe every 2 or 3 weeks), and for no obvious reason, get an error message (see attachment) when I try to start the file from the start menu, forcing me to remove the start menu item and repeat the steps to relpace it in the start menu.

I'd like to know why this is happening (it doesn't happen with any other start menu items), and how I can fix the problem.

Thanks.

jwoods
    Your attachment isn't included in your post.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    I have an address book saved as a Word 2003 document (entitled, oddly enough, Address Book).
    I navigate to the folder where my Word files are saved, and drag the file "Address Book.doc" to my start menu. This allows me to start the address book directly from the start menu.

However, I occasionally (maybe every 2 or 3 weeks), and for no obvious reason, get an error message (see attachment) when I try to start the file from the start menu, forcing me to remove the start menu item and repeat the steps to relpace it in the start menu.

I'd like to know why this is happening (it doesn't happen with any other start menu items), and how I can fix the problem.

Thanks.
    Create a shortcut to your Address Book.doc and put the shortcut in the Start Menu.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, here's the image:

Error Message.doc

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, if I create a shortcut, and then put it in my start menu, I must leave the shortcut where it was created (in this case, on my desktop). If I delete the shortcut, the start menu reference no longer works. If I leave the shortcut, I've defeated the purpose of putting it in my start menu, which was to avoid creating a shortcut that clutters my desktop.

jwoods
    Right-click on the document and drag it to the Start button.

Release when you see "Pin to Start Menu" displayed.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods, "Pin to Start Menu" never shows as an option when I do as you suggested. I must manually move the cursor where I want it on the start menu; when I release the mouse button, the icon shows in the start menu. This is the same behavior as when I left-click the mouse button. I believe that "Pin to Start Menu" only shows when I right-click an executable file; in this case, "Address Book.doc" is not the executable, but WINWORD.EXE is.
    Last edited by LesF; 2015-05-14 at 17:34.

jwoods
    As soon as I hover over the Start button with the dragged document (I used your attachment as the test doc), I see "Pin to Start Menu".

I've been able to do it several times (also tested with a PDF doc), so not sure what I'm doing differently.

Try holding down the Shift key when you right-click on the document and you should see "Pin to Start Menu" as a selection in the context menu.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-14 at 17:45.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I right-click Address Book.doc and drag it to the start button and hover, I do not see a "Pin to Start Menu" option. Same with a left-click. However, if I hold down the Shift key while right-clicking Address Book.doc, I do see a "Pin to Start Menu" option.

Oddly enough, if I put Address Book into the start menu manually as I have been doing (left-click and drag to the start menu, place cursor in the start menu where I want the icon, and release the mouse button), then when I shift/right-click the original file, I get the option to "Unpin from Start Menu". So it appears as if either way of adding the icon to my start menu is doing the same thing, and probably won't resolve my originally posted problem.
    But I did do it the way you've suggested, and we'll see what happens. In any case, shift/right-click does show the options, whereas right-click or hovering does not.
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Les,

Copy/Move the shortcut to here:
    C:\Users\[your USERID here]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

Then Right-click it and select Pin to Start.

Note: I'm using StartIsBack in Win 8.1 and I had to lower the number of "Recent Programs to Show" to create enough room in the Pinned area for this to display.

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-05-14 at 21:02.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, thanks for your suggestion. However, I have no problem with displaying the start menu item (i.e., plenty of room in the Pinned area). The issue is that the start menu icon periodically can no longer can no longer find the file with which it was originally associated. This is the problem that I'd like to understand and resolve. Failing that, your suggestion would be a work-around, but I'm not ready to concede failure yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    RG, thanks for your suggestion. However, I have no problem with displaying the start menu item (i.e., plenty of room in the Pinned area). The issue is that the start menu icon periodically can no longer can no longer find the file with which it was originally associated. This is the problem that I'd like to understand and resolve. Failing that, your suggestion would be a work-around, but I'm not ready to concede failure yet.
    When you pin your Address Book.doc to the Start Menu, right-click it, select "Properties" and look at the path.

Since the items in your Start Menu are actually shortcuts in the C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder put there by Windows and other programs/applications/utilities installers, that's how they do it. Shortcuts can also be placed in the Start Menu folder one level up.

If you navigate to that folder in Windows Explorer and create your shortcut in it (right-click and select "New > Shortcut"), it will be just like all the other items in the Start Menu, work the same, stay put, and you won't need to "pin" it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, thanks for that info.
    When I try your suggestion, the item shows up in my start menu under "All Programs", whether I create the shortcut in the Start Menu/Programs folder, or directly in the Start Menu folder.
    But I prefer to have the shortcut show up in my start menu at the top level (i.e., where all the other "pinned" programs show up). How can I do this?

As an aside, I notice that I'm no longer being notified by email when anyone replies to this thread, even though I requested that when I posted. So I apologize if I'm a little slow responding to any new posts.

Thanks
    If you pin Word to the Task bar, right clicking on the Word icon will bring up a jump list of recently used documents. Your Address book should be there. Just as quick as using the Start Menu.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. My task bar is already more cluttered than I'd like (although not nearly filled).
    I'd really just like to click Start/Address Book, which is how I had it set up. I just need to understand why I periodically lose that functionality on this one item only, and how to fix it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast