3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Google Chrome as password manager

Its probably a really bad idea, but I have almost all my passwords for websites available under Chrome. I have forgotten most of the usernames and passwords (especially those sites that I visit infrequently), but Chrome has a record!

I now would like to export these so that I can pass a couple of these passwords to a work colleague (so they can access some of the business applications that we both use). How can I export the schedule of passwords, and import them for another Google Chrome user (after sanitizing!)

I have been looking at Last Pass, but that implementation is rather unwieldy (but it allows you to move between browsers and possibly even machines).

Any other recommendations?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Storing all passwords in your browser is not a good idea unless they are secure (not guaranteed), you are sure you can back them up and they are transportable. A password manager is almost always a better solution.

Here's a thread that references other threads with recommendations...
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ssword-manager

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul - I can always count on your response to be fast and accurate.........

Is there any way I can export my Chrome passwords all in one go to say LastPass or some other programme? An export even to Excel would enable me to filter through and find out how many locations are still used, and what is redundant.... before I move to a more secure solution?

I also think that creating an encrypted Excel File or Access Database might work, but there are ways of cracking the MS Security on these types of files (just Google cracking Excel Passwords....... )

Any other ideas?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This software purports to be able to export your Chrome passwords in various formats.
    http://securityxploded.com/chromepassworddecryptor.php

You could use Excel etc, but why would you bother when there are plenty of good, free password managers?

cheers, Paul

p.s. I use KeePass but it's not automated like Roboform.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

I followed the link to the Chrome Password Decryptor, and it looks like it will do exactly what I need to move to KeePass. I have a problem in that as soon as I download the file, my antivirus, Sophos, quarantines the file. Whilst I can allow it, I get a little nervous when doing something like that.

Have you tried the installation? Is it safe to use?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I haven't used it so it may be a bad file.
    Try ChromePass, referenced in this post (Nirsoft utilities are well known and recommended).
    https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/di...read/7bdaaeda/

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Photorer (2015-05-18)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

Thanks - I have used NIRSOFT products for a long time, and they are trustworthy as far as I am concerned! Thanks for this!

I have downloaded the ChromePass zip from their website, but Sophos calls up a threat, anyhow. I authorised the application, and was amazed at how fast it was able to pickup the 295 saved passwords from Google Chrome! I now have the full set of passwords, which I can drag into KeePass..... and clean up those that are old!

Thanks for the help!

Thanks

Re: Last Pass

Late, as usual, to the thread.

I've been using Last Pass for several years. The free version DOES allow you to move between machines. In my case it's Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Galaxy Tab 10 (Android OS). The paid version ($12 a year IIRC) adds smart phones to what you can use it on. Make a change in one and it will affect that change on all.

HTH

Willard

[QUOTE=Photorer;1000812]

I have been looking at Last Pass, but that implementation is rather unwieldy (but it allows you to move between browsers and possibly even machines).

Any other recommendations?[/I've QUOTE]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wseehorn For This Useful Post:

Photorer (2015-05-21)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post

I have used Roboform for 12 years or so now. Excellent product. Prompt response when I ask questions. Can "sync" from a desktop to a laptop etc. It also has a user modifiable table (identities) for storing other often used important information. All sitting behind a master password and DES encrypted.

From my POV...highly recommended.

K

Thanks
    Keepass, at least in its cross-platform version (KeePassX) has a database which remains encrypted at all times. The database itself is portable, and can be used by anyone on any device for which Keepass or a Keepass app has been installed, as well as directly from Web (Cloud) storage. So, once everything is extracted from Chrome with the NirSoft tools, the Keepass database can be copied, uploaded, stored online or placed on a Flash Drive for full portability. Keepass Portable (Windows only) can also be kept on the same Flash Drive. No need to place anything on a host or public computer.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    I've used RoboForm for ~15 years, rock solid. Was the gold standard for many years, maybe it still is. Seems to be free for all phones & tablets, $10/year for Win or Mac.

One of the few apps where I won't upgrade OS or browser until I know it's supported.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have also used & recommend the LastPass (paid version) for several years. For moving between differentvbrowsers on different computers it is really very good. App integration (iOS & Android) still leaves something to be desired.
    The iOS and Android versions do have a built in browser.
    I have also used LastPass to share credentials to certain accounts. You can either give full access that allows them to see & change a password or limited access which allows them to use but not see a password (which might preventcan account from being highjacked).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roboform also has an Android version (free). The desk/laptop versions are licensed products. "Synching" the logins across platforms is as simple as right clicking on the Roboform icon and choosing "Sync". Again, from my POV, a recommended product.

K

Quote Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
    I have also used & recommend the LastPass (paid version) for several years. For moving between differentvbrowsers on different computers it is really very good. App integration (iOS & Android) still leaves something to be desired.
    The iOS and Android versions do have a built in browser.
    I have also used LastPass to share credentials to certain accounts. You can either give full access that allows them to see & change a password or limited access which allows them to use but not see a password (which might preventcan account from being highjacked).