3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Painfully Slow Data Transfer Rate Using Windows Easy Transfer!

After a few miscues I finally got Easy Transfer going so as to migrate some 192 GB of files and data from my old Vista 32 bit machine to a new Win7 64 bit machine.
    As transfer started I noted a time estimate of 21 hours and change. I thought that sounded kind of excessive (I figured an hour or two), and it would likely correct itself to a much lower time as things progressed.
    Well its been 13 hours so far, and 9 more hours estimated. Yikes!
    This works out to about 2.54 MBs, whereas using 1000 mbs LAN rates I figure it ought to be more like 125 MBs. Why is the actual data rate some 50 times slower than it should be?
    Both machines have LAN 10/100/1000 built in.
    The old one has a SATA 300 drive, while the new one has a SATA 600.
    The cpu in the old machine is running at about 10-14% load, so this can't be holding it back.
    The network uses a LAN 1000 wifi and some 50 ft of RJ-45 cables between the machines (which are in different rooms).

I am puzzled why this is so slow.
    Anyone any ideas to share?

Thanks,
    rstew

Thanks
    It isn't a simple file transfer; Windows is transferring settings and preferences into all of the correct locations, including registry keys and values. That's quite a bit more involved than moving file A from location 1 to location 2.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    It isn't a simple file transfer; Windows is transferring settings and preferences into all of the correct locations, including registry keys and values. That's quite a bit more involved than moving file A from location 1 to location 2.
    Ok, never really thought of it in those terms. Still seems incredibly slow.
    We actually are away for a few days and I had to leave with the transfer still in progress.
    Hopefully when we get back it will have successfully finished!

Cheers,
    rstew

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow up:
    Well the transfer finally finished after close to 48 hours.
    Upon checking it looks like everything is there, and it all seems to work.
    I still can't believe that this represents a typical amount of time required to transfer less than 200 GB of data. Yikes!
    My advice to anyone using Easy Transfer is use an external drive or removeable media. (Or plan to be away for a few days.)

Cheers,
    rstew