Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Win8.1 "Couldn't complete updates; undoing changes" error code 8007045B

We are not surprised when the system takes a little time to shut down because it's loading updates, and then a little time to apply them on start-up.

Recently, the process has been that the updates are proceeding on start-up, but then stops with the subject phrase. I Googled "w8.1 couldn't complete updates...", and followed the advice about getting into the update history app. While that's cool that it give a link to display the details (including the error code 8007045B), doing anything with that info (Copying the error code for example to paste in the browser) is impossible, and you have to find the way back in over and over. It would seem much better if that was made part of the desktop program in the control panel - that tells you it failed, but nothing else. Screenshot everything.

Anyway, much of the stuff I've seen about the dreaded 8007045B has been on forums, but blessed little on a Microsoft support webpage. perhaps someone on the Lounge forum has seen, and maybe surmounted, this nasty bit of business. Some updates (eg: manual) have worked fine. When I get a failure, a whole batch of different updates are failed.

Can anyone provide some input?

Thanks,

Steve

jwoods
    Doing a search with 8007045B site:microsoft.com produced several results.

An incorrect date and time on the system is one cause.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried running System File Checker?
    1. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select Run as Administrator.
    2. Type: sfc /scannow

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try running the windows update troubleshooter. It will download and run the windows update fixit. Usually solves the problem. It will download and run WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    BTW, issues regarding success w/ Updates is a FREE call to MS Answer Desk (Tech Support). Won't go in, failing or whatever, no charge if it's Updates or security related.

# is 1-866-727-2338. Mention @ the onset you seek Tech Support for a WU problem. They (the CSA) will produce a Case # & connect w/ a TS Agent.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43209

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the sfc /scannow reports problems then run -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentstore

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

and then run sfc /scannow again to see if the problem has been sorted and then try the updates again if okay.

Thanks
    Thanks for the input. Have been doing yard work and haven't had time or energy to pursue. But here's a progress report:

jwoods: The time on my system agrees with my smart phone, my atomic clock and the clock that updates with our local electric supplier (BGE).

Paul T: I ran sfc /scannow. It told me that it had a repair going on, and needed a restart. I restarted, which took a while, so I couldn't watch for the "Unable to complete..." message. When I checked back later, it had completed. I looked at the update history, but haven't done a comparison to see if it redid the patches successfully. I will report back later.

Those were the suggestions I had. Now to the next three:

Caveman - Thanks and I'll try that.

Drew - Thanks and I'll try that. "Won't go in"? Do they try remote? I'm not comfortable with that.

Sudo - Did the fact that I had that initial response mentioned above mean I should proceed to your followup commands?

Thanks again, friends.

Steve

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you didn't see what sfc /scannow found you could run it again or run those dism commands first, but I think you should at least run the sfc again to see what it reports.

The /restorehealth command can resolve update problems in Win 8.1.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Steve,

"Drew - Thanks and I'll try that. "Won't go in"? Do they try remote? I'm not comfortable with that."

Meant if Updates won't install. No grounds for your discomfort... we remote in to help customers, I have done heaps of work for clients in other cities or countries. It has ben immensely helpful having that service available from MS Techs both when they have helped me, personally or my clients.. It is secure & one cannot do it for you until after you allow it. It is a free service from MS & will likely save you a lot of time & frustration. It's just as a Microsoft Partner & IT Pro I was able to provide you the correct # to ring for assistance.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43214

Thanks
    Thanks, Drew. I may just dial them up. But I ran sfc again, and it wanted a restart again, so after the restart (which took a while), I ran it yet again, and it returned:

sfc result.jpg

I opened CBS.log, but haven't made heads or tails out of it. Is there a link that tells what to look for? I saw a line mentioning AMD, but I have an Intel system. The CLI session said that the log would tell me which dll file I need to reinstall manually, but I don't see one in plain English. (CBS_log.txt attached.)

I have to do more research, I guess. I may try some of the other suggested answers as well.

Thanks,

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Run the DISM commands, now, that you were given. And 'satrow' made a good suggestion w/ the link he/she provided, as well.

I, still, say save time & you fussing about & let a MS Tech tackle it for you. We in the forum can't get our hands on it, so save paying a Consultant & let them do it @ no charge.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43218

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you also check to see if KB3022345 has been installed ?

If it is, that could be responsible for the irreparable files and you may have to go back two restore points before the WUs as I did for the sfc /scannow to repair them.

Running the /restorehealth command to see what it reports will also help and if that comes up clean, then run the sfc /scannow again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

satrow (2015-05-18)

Thanks
    Sudo,

Sorry for the delay - life intrudes. KB3022345 has been installed (May 14). I think I will call MS like Drew suggested. I can't keep fiddling with this with the W10 upgrade coming soon.

Thanks, all!

Steve

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by parkton_steve View Post
    Sudo,

Sorry for the delay - life intrudes. KB3022345 has been installed (May 14). I think I will call MS like Drew suggested. I can't keep fiddling with this with the W10 upgrade coming soon.

Thanks, all!

Steve
    Hope you get a better tech than I did - mine was absolute rubbish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast