Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Activitate Office Professional 2010

Purchased a copy of Office Professional 2010. Before purchasing it, I asked the seller if it was a legitimate copy, i.e., can it be activated.. He said yes.
    When I removed XP and did a clean install of Win 7 Pro 64-bit, I installed Office Pro 2010.
    Never saw a dialog box asking to activate it. Didn't think that was unusal as I've seen some products that self-activate and have product key built in.Had a computer disaster and had to reinstall Win 7 Pro 64-bit.
    Installed Office Professional 20120; now it keeps asking me to activate. Dialog box says this copy is for networks; contact network admin to activate!
    Called Microsoft and they said yes, this is a network version. Told them I don't care, just let me pay for a product key and activate it. They said I can't activate this copy as a personal version.

Did some checking and found out the product key is one of those fraudulent keys posted on the web!

What can I do to get this activated?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Buy a legitimate copy from a shop?
    Use LibreOffice?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Ask your seller to refund your money?
    If he doesn't then Paul's advice holds.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do use LibreOffice on my laptop and tablet, but I need at least one copy of Office so I can ensure what I've done in LibreOffice works in Office (not all things migrate well between the two programs).

As for asking the seller to refund my money, that's not an option as the seller no longer is online (hmmmm.). I've contacted eBay and they said since it is more than 30 days, nothing they can do. As for my credit card company, they say the same thing - but maybe if it was less than 90 days they'd credit my account.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It seems clear that you were duped and the copy is illegal. As Microsoft itself will not activate it, it seems obvious that you will lose your money and there is no legal way to get past the activation problem.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

paulp575 (2015-05-16)