Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Can I delete AppData folders that draw these PUPS?

    Malwarebytes just found these PUPS on my W7 Pro PC. Can I delete these AppData folders, If not what can I do to avoid them. They all are tied to GOOGLE, 'sould I be suprised' ?
    I do not use Google browser or search engine, but do use Google Earth once in a while and some sites with Google maps inserts? Suggestions appreciated.
    1] PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.A, C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome \User Data\Default\Extensions\nedjejdfkkjgebciefdfofjhme ogiaga\166\lsdb.js, , [886770233f4b56e0ba466107679e0bf5],
    2] PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.A, C:\Users\Guest\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\nedjejdfkkjgebciefdfofjhme ogiaga\166\lsdb.js, ,
    3] PUP.Optional.MultiPlug.A, C:\Users\XXX user\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\nedjejdfkkjgebciefdfofjhme ogiaga\166\background.html, ,

    Also, I want to "THANK" for the help I get, but I've looked all over the place to find THANKS.
    Common sense would indicate that you would thank the poster when you logged in to view the post.
    My years of training required that everyone who even offers to help, even if the offer is not succesfull earns a Thank you. You thank the offer not the result.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP access-mdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    1,729
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 156 Times in 149 Posts
    The thanks button is bottom left of the post - see attachment
    thanks.PNG
    Afraid I can't answer about the pups

  3. #3
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,764
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Yes, you can safely delete the Google folders in AppData\Local\ if UAC will allow it. You might have to take ownership in order to delete them. They may or may not be tied in with Google Earth, but if you have a problem with Google Earth you can just reinstall it.

    However, that doesn't mean that they will stay deleted. The same process that put them there can also put them there again.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

    klxdrt (2015-05-15)

  5. #4
    Super Moderator satrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    4,492
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked 577 Times in 480 Posts
    [Moved to Security and Scams]

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

    klxdrt (2015-05-15)

  7. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    First, it's important to understand what PUPs are. They are not in the same category as viruses, or trojans or similar. So, although they are definitely unwanted and an annoyance, they aren't necessarily evil.

    I also think that instead of fighting symptoms, your best bet is to prevent the disease from occurring again. The fact that the PUPs files are located in Chrome folders means that whoever is using the browser, is doing something that brings the PUPs along. Better check what it is that is being done and stop it. You can also try and get software that prevents PUP installation, if that bothers you that much.

    This said, you can delete the folders, but if whoever caused the PUPs to be downloaded in first place, does it again, other folders will be created and the PUPs will appear again. Thus, deleting the folders is pretty much useless as a PUP fighting strategy.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

    klxdrt (2015-05-15)

  9. #6
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 130 Times in 127 Posts
    unchecky from unchecky.com is one of the best upfront PUP fighters. Ditto on not deleting appdata folders, such will not work in the long-run. SUPERAntispyware, Malwarebytes AM, SpyBot, SpywareBlaster, just to name a few, pick or two.
    Many anti-virus include anti-PUP scans -- again, find one or two to run scheduled scans, remember only one anti-virus can have it real time protection shields on.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

    klxdrt (2015-05-15)

  11. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    The thanks button is bottom left of the post - see attachment
    thanks.PNG
    Afraid I can't answer about the pups
    Thanks,

    Very easy to locate & see.
    However I'm now currently responding to you & looking to my lower left corner and there is no small med gray thank icon in sight.
    Once I respond to a post I'm gone as I have many other things to. Do I have to come back in to WS forum, locate my post to you answer?

    With today's swipe go technology, that process seems dated??

    Thanks I appreciate you help.

    klx

  12. #8
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,764
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klxdrt View Post
    Thanks,

    Very easy to locate & see.
    However I'm now currently responding to you & looking to my lower left corner and there is no small med gray thank icon in sight.
    Once I respond to a post I'm gone as I have many other things to. Do I have to come back in to WS forum, locate my post to you answer?

    With today's swipe go technology, that process seems dated??

    Thanks I appreciate you help.

    klx
    It isn't used in the "Reply" format. To use the Thanks button, locate the post that has the information for which you wish to thank the poster, and click the Thanks button at the bottom left of that post.

    You won't see the Thanks button on any of your own posts, only on the posts of others.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  13. #9
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    First, it's important to understand what PUPs are. They are not in the same category as viruses, or trojans or similar. So, although they are definitely unwanted and an annoyance, they aren't necessarily evil.

    I also think that instead of fighting symptoms, your best bet is to prevent the disease from occurring again. The fact that the PUPs files are located in Chrome folders means that whoever is using the browser, is doing something that brings the PUPs along. Better check what it is that is being done and stop it. You can also try and get software that prevents PUP installation, if that bothers you that much.

    This said, you can delete the folders, but if whoever caused the PUPs to be downloaded in first place, does it again, other folders will be created and the PUPs will appear again. Thus, deleting the folders is pretty much useless as a PUP fighting strategy.
    ruiib,

    I use: unchecky, SUPERAntispyware, Malwarebytes free, SpyBot, SpywareBlaster, Panda Anti virus daily some times several times a day.
    I rarely find PUPs and I know the're an annoyance, but when I noticed GOOGLE, my antennas lit up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #10
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klxdrt View Post
    ruiib,

    I use: unchecky, SUPERAntispyware, Malwarebytes free, SpyBot, SpywareBlaster, Panda Anti virus daily some times several times a day.
    I rarely find PUPs and I know the're an annoyance, but when I noticed GOOGLE, my antennas lit up.
    Thanks, I'd like to close this issue as my quetion has been satisfactorly answered. And my wife is calling me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #11
    Super Moderator satrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    4,492
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked 577 Times in 480 Posts
    Can you attach the Malwarebytes log file, please?

  16. #12
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klxdrt View Post
    ruiib,

    I use: unchecky, SUPERAntispyware, Malwarebytes free, SpyBot, SpywareBlaster, Panda Anti virus daily some times several times a day.
    I rarely find PUPs and I know the're an annoyance, but when I noticed GOOGLE, my antennas lit up.
    To prevent PUPs from installing, you'd need to use something that detects them in real time. This means you need to use an active component to prevent their installation. I am not sure if the Malwarebytes paid version would do it. My AV detects PUPs (if I so choose), but it's not on your list of used apps.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

    klxdrt (2015-05-15)

  18. #13
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    It isn't used in the "Reply" format. To use the Thanks button, locate the post that has the information for which you wish to thank the poster, and click the Thanks button at the bottom left of that post.

    You won't see the Thanks button on any of your own posts, only on the posts of others.
    bbearren,

    The business process:

    1] I post a question.
    2] I get a email response from poster from the forum.
    3] I read the posters answer to my question.
    4] I respond to the poster no matter whether his answer is relevant or not.
    5] And at that point I thank him for his response even though his response is may not relevant.

    Reasons:
    I have all posts with links on my PC in front of me.
    I dont have get back on the internet, go to WS lounge, log in, find the post so I can thank the poster.
    I use the KISS principle.
    Today's business changes so fast & furious that it has to be conducted & completed in "nano seconds" The old days are gone at least at my position on the Bell Curve.

    EOS.

    PS, I will go back & thank you for clearing this matter up for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #14
    Super Moderator satrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    4,492
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked 577 Times in 480 Posts
    I just read your email, it looks like Malwarebytes didn't quarantine anything?

    Try the following cleanup routine:
    Download and run ADWCleaner - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

    Then run JRT - the URL is on the same page as above, lower down.

    Update and run Malwarebytes again, Quarantine anything listed.

    Reset Chrome - https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

    When done, please reply here and attach or copy/paste the logs from the 3 tools above.

  20. #15
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    actually Malwarebytes detected & quarantined those pups

    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I just read your email, it looks like Malwarebytes didn't quarantine anything?

    Try the following cleanup routine:
    Download and run ADWCleaner - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

    Then run JRT - the URL is on the same page as above, lower down.

    Update and run Malwarebytes again, Quarantine anything listed.

    Reset Chrome - https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

    When done, please reply here and attach or copy/paste the logs from the 3 tools above.
    I'll send logs tomorrow. I've been working on these PCs since early morn and

    its 11:18 pm. Im old & tired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •