Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

whereis ANSI.SYS

M$ support claims I can load ANSI.SYS from c:\winnt\System32 but my W8.1 has no such directory and its System32 has no ANSI.SYS.
    Can someone tell me where I can get ANSI.SYS (without malware)?

Thanks
    Can you post a link to the MS Support article?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As I recall C:\WINNT was for the old Windows 2000 or maybe the even older WinNT 4.0.

Thanks
    The ansi.sys file is in XP Windows\System32, don't know if it survived into Vista, but it's not in Windows 7.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Its in my C:\windows\system32 Windows 7 directory but is nowhere to be found in Windows 10. I suspect the same is true of Windows 8/8.1.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Wikipedia says it was last seen in Vista.

Thanks
    I don't have it in my C:\Windows\System32 or anywhere else in C:\Windows

Win7 Pro x64, clean install July 2014.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Well, its in my System32 directory. Don't know if it came with a virgin install of Windows 7 or was put there by some program or part of an upgrade install from Vista.

in any event, it appears it won't be there in the OPs Windows 8 install.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2015-05-15 at 19:48.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Well, its in my System32 directory. Don't know if it came with a virgin install of Windows 7 or was put there by some program or part of an upgrade install from Vista.

in any event, it appears it won't be there in the OPs Windows 8 install.

Jerry
    It's not in Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI.SYS it's a DOS driver from way back.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    It's basically a display driver for colors in DOS. In config.sys it would be setup as a device that the console would call. That's why in post #2 I was curious about the MS Support article.

Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Very similar to your earlier post.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...the-escape-key

Are you still trying to make nice colours?
    Did you try Ansicon?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    True, Ansi.sys is an old driver used in DOS, to allow you to program colors and special characters into batch files, menu text files, etc.
    I used it extensively myself, and still do, on bootable DOS disks that I use for my backup software, my DOS utilities disk, etc.

A good example is my DOS Utilities disk, which boots to this menu:

I suspect that since Windows (all versions from Vista on) that run in 64 bit mode, with NO backward compatibility, can't run OLD software, they may not have ansi.sys either.
    Sorry, I'm not currently running any Windows 7 or 8.1 OS with 64 bit capability.
    Pretty much everything I do is in X86 mode for backward compatibility.

But, on my X86 Windows 8.1, I do have ansi.sys in the "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.

Ansi.sys is only a driver to permit color programming, (in DOS) which you would also need to know how to do.
    For instance, you need to know how to program escape sequences, to change background colors, text colors, etc.

Good Luck and let us know how things work out for you.

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-05-16 at 16:00.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

spark55 (2015-05-20)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why do you need the Ansi.Sys driver? It wasn't very commonly used even in the heyday of DOS, and now it's downright rare to see anyone using it.

As a couple of posters have mentioned, the only purpose of Ansi.Sys is to provide colour display services in a DOS screen (now a window). And now that I think about it, I've done extensive batch language programming, in colour, without it. All you do is call the "Color" command. This implies that the DOS command shell has incorporated the services of Ansi.Sys into the shell by default, and therefore Ansi.Sys is likely no longer needed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

spark55 (2015-05-20)

Thanks
    Why do you need the Ansi.Sys driver?
    I don't know if the OP is around but I would say an old dos game perhaps.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

spark55 (2015-05-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast