Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can we tweak entries in All Apps display?

Some of the apps I've installed have a large number of options, none of which I need or want in the alphabetical listing of the All Apps part of the Start Menu. When I click on the app's name, I get the little down karat to click and then the many options appear. Way down on the bottom is the actual exe file. which is all I need. I'd prefer not to scroll down to get it. It would seem that the app's shortcut is in a folder and those options are files in that folder.

(I don't use this app enough to put it in the taskbar, but when I'm buzzing along and need it, it's annoying to have to click again and then scroll to get it.}

I found the Start Menu in the Windows folder, but the All Apps programs aren't listed there.

How does one get into the correct folder, delete the unwanted options, and make the task much simpler and cleaner?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Joro,

I don't know of what app you speak but, you might be able to Rt Clk it and Pin to Start and or Pin to Quick Access.

Cheers,
    Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1 Update

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried that. Didn't do it.

If you remember, back in XP, and with some finesse in 7, we could get into the Start Menu file system and move things, create and manipulate folders and modify as we liked.

This app (and a few others) in the All Apps list created a Start Menu entry as a folder, with a multitude of options in it. The only one I want to show is the .exe file. That means getting into the Start Menu and tweaking. My question is how do we do that in Win10?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Check out C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I went there and was able to delete the unwanted files from the folders and then move the shortcuts I wanted to keep to the Program folder. It looked like the older Windows process, but when I closed it up and went to the All Apps list, none of the shortcuts to those apps were there. I have no idea how to get them to display in the All Apps list. I think there are menehune (Hawaiian elves) playing with me inside my machine.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I'll try to see if I can find a way for you when I'm back at my office.

Cheers,
    Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ok, Joro, maybe, this will do what you're after

If there's a folder of things listed on the Start menu... open said folder > the item therein of interest, Rt Clk > Open file location. When you get there, Rt Clk it > Pin to Start. IF you, also, want to delete the other items @ that (same) location then the Folder @ the Start menu listing should no longer have them... that's an educated logical guess ... having not actually done it 1st-hand.

Anyway, take the above as you like

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43206

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I do as you suggest, the shortcut appears as a tile, but not in the All Apps list.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joro View Post
    When I do as you suggest, the shortcut appears as a tile, but not in the All Apps list.
    Joro,

Yes, I knew that would be the case but, thought it would, still, be (pretty much) what you wanted.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43227

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably time to search the registry. I'm on build 10122 still can't find a broken app entry that displays a "?" In the start menu all apps list. Cannot right click to remove it. I ignore it but it sits there at the top of the apps list as a glaring reminder Microsoft has a ways to go before this thing is ready to release. And yes, I have posted this in the preview feedback forum, along with others. Keeping fingers crossed we get some better start menu customization and repair tools soon. Meanwhile, I'll be scouring the registry later to see if I can find something.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had no better luck this week with 10125. Now 10130 is out; hopefully we'll see some improvements there. It's hard to believe that all will be ready for the scheduled release date: July 29.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm on 10130 and it's no better. I created a desktop shortcut so I could copy the text of the broken link to use to search the registry and deleted all the entries I found. I then searched my entire hard drive, deleted the files I found with the same text string. Rebooted and sure enough the broken entry is still in the start menu under the "&" character heading. Sadly it looks like MS is becoming more like Apple by force feeding us apps we cannot remove and hiding them so deep it is impossible to delete them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twm50 View Post
    I'm on 10130 and it's no better. I created a desktop shortcut so I could copy the text of the broken link to use to search the registry and deleted all the entries I found. I then searched my entire hard drive, deleted the files I found with the same text string. Rebooted and sure enough the broken entry is still in the start menu under the "&" character heading. Sadly it looks like MS is becoming more like Apple by force feeding us apps we cannot remove and hiding them so deep it is impossible to delete them.
    What's the text of the broken link?

What's the actual entry that appears under the & heading?

Is there a shortcut containing that character at C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ Application Shortcuts or C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Start Menu\Programs?

How to move or remove apps in All Apps in the Windows 10 start menu

New Lounger
    Thanks
    here is text of broken entry in start menu all apps under the "&" heading, its at the beginning of the start menu list, just before the "0-9" entries:
    @{microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.5.9600.20 689_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwems-resource--microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps-strings-peopleAppName}

The thing is I downloaded the communication apps which includes a new people app which is basically an address book and it is working fine, but apparently the old app link is still remaining.

Searched through the file folders but no sign of that entry. The only people app shortcut is for the new one.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried to post actual txt in the link from my win 10 machine but the post appears to have been killed by a moderator! I deleted the items I found that had similar txt from bothappdata locations, the "&" link remains and is still broken and now my mail and calendars are broken! I think I'll keep my win 7 machines as is, not seeing benefit of win 10, just appears to be deeply hidden crap making it a royal pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast