Lounger
    Thanks

Accessibility of your pdf downloads.

I'm an old guy with cataracts. I set my windows 7 screen to high contrast black and it seems to work. PDF documents are always a problem. Up to a point the new Adobe readers let you change the screen colors, but the document author can override the local settings.

I just downloaded your PC_Security_Guide, PC-Hardware-Guide and PC-Maintenance-Guide PDFs and they are impossible to read because of your color choices.

In the normal black on white the text has too little contrast with the background for me to read it. When I tell the Adobe Reader to use reverse video, <Edit> <Accessibility> <Setup Assistant> <Set all accessibility options> <Use high contrast colors for document text> <Yellow text on black> what you see is the attached screen shot, which is pretty much useless. The authors' name is unreadable as is every paragraph after the first.

Clipboard01.jpg

In the editing of the normal pdf file in Acrobat you changed the text style and color for these parts which become unreadable in high contrast.

You can fix this in one of two ways. Either re-edit the document in Acrobat and check what it looks like in high contrast in the Reader, or provide a plain old vanilla text file of these documents for download. The text file can be loaded into Word. Word respects the windows 7 video preferences set by <Personalize> <High Contrast Black>.

Try it, you'll like it. Until you fix this people with cataracts won't be able to read your most excellent articles.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Contacted newsletter editor

Joe

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Paul_L (2015-05-16),satrow (2015-05-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. If he wants to email me directly I imagine he can find some way to do that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Paul L. I'm Kathleen Atkins, one of the editors of Windows Secrets. I'll pass on your critique of our ebooks' readability and let you know whether we can send you versions of those ebooks that might work better for you.

Best, Kathleen

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

Paul_L (2015-05-19),satrow (2015-05-19)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Kathleen,

Virtually everyone who puts together a pdf never bothers to look at it in reverse video. IE and FireFox will display most pdf files pretty well and they respect the windows preferences. Chrome does display pdfs but it does not respect the windows preferences.

There are a lot of useless pdfs out there. I just stumbled on some more this week on the picaxe.org website. The manuals they very carefully put together are just as useless as your articles. Texas Istruments, Analog Devices, Hewlett Packard, Adobe and IBM all do the same thing. Microsoft is the only large firm that publishes usually well behaved pdfs.

I long for the old days when text files were the norm.

Paul_L

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

Have you tried the Loupe Tool in Foxit Reader?

This is a neat device that let's you open a window and set a magnification level. You can then scroll/move your cursor in the main document and it will magnify the portion that fits in the loupe window.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Paul_L (2015-05-20)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek,

No I haven't tried that magnifier. I have tried the windows magnifier and found that it magnifies about as well as zooming the entire pdf.

With cztaracts size is not the problem, contrast is. In the case of the windows secrets pdfs they chose colors which show up as grey on white in normal view but dark green or dark blue on black in reverse video. Take a look at the jpg in the first post. That just ain't readable no matter how much it is magnified.

Paul_L

jwoods
    You might try the portable PDF viewer Sumatra PDF...

http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

It can be customized to use Windows preferences by changing the setting UseSysColors = true in the text file SumatraPDF-settings.txt located in the same folder as the viewer.

In Sumatra, click on the three horizontal bars in the upper left hand corner, select Settings, select Advanced Options.

The setting is on line #6 in my version.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-20 at 17:10.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Paul_L (2015-05-20)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sumatra seems to produce the same results as the Adobe viewer and viewing in Chrome. Thanks for suggesting it. It seems like a good portable viewer.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
    Sumatra seems to produce the same results as the Adobe viewer and viewing in Chrome.
    Did you set UseSysColors = true in Advanced Options (mentioned above)?

Sumatra honored the Windows settings for color and contrast in my tests of using the High Contrast themes and viewing PDFs.

Lounger
    Thanks
    jwoods,

Yes, I set UseSysColors = true and it did follow the windows preferences which produced almost identical results to the Adobe Reader screen shot in post 1 above which is almost useless. Chrome ignores the windows preferences and displays the grey on white scheme which I can't read. My IE doesn't like loading pdfs at all. Firefox loads pdfs and follows the windows preferences which results in something similar to the Adobe Reader display.

Paul_L

jwoods
    I was thinking you were looking for a PDF viewer that would follow your Windows preferences...

"The text file can be loaded into Word. Word respects the windows 7 video preferences set by <Personalize> <High Contrast Black>."
    You might try a third party theme...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-dark...ce-eye-strain/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-21 at 15:23.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Paul_L (2015-05-21)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for thinking! The basic trouble is in the design of the pdf in Acrobat. When you change the viewing choices in Acrobat Reader it doesn't always make all of the colors chosen in the pdf visible.

I'll probably be able to make use of that link you provided. There are some nice possibilities in there. Thanks.