Thanks

Solid state drives can lose data (True?)

According to this article, SSDs can apparently lose data in a relatively short period of time if/when they are without power.

Here is a quote from the link below:

"Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days. New research suggests that newer solid-state hard drives, which are faster and offer better performance, are vulnerable to an inherent flaw — they lose data when they’re left dormant in storage for periods of time where the temperature isn’t properly regulated."

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2015/0...ower/?ssdflaw=

Any comments?

(My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-05-17)

Thanks
    Yes, they can lose data but to what extent isn't really known or fully understood.

Seagate are pushing this report, do they produce SSDs or hard drives?

"Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days." <-- reads like a definitive statement...

...but wait, there's more: "New research suggests that newer solid-state hard drives, which are faster and offer better performance, are vulnerable to an inherent flaw — they lose data when they’re left dormant in storage for periods of time where the temperature isn’t properly regulated". Getting increasingly vague...

" ...the period of time data is retained on some solid-state drives is halved for every 9°F (or 5°C) rise in temperature where its stored." "But enterprise solid-state drives pose the biggest risk to data loss, because the retention period drops considerably.

A moderate increase of just 9°F (5°C) in temperature in a space where an enterprise solid-state drive is stored can drop a retention rate from 20 weeks to 10 weeks
    ."

Hmm, but they don't actually state what those conditions for enterprise SSDs might be.

Remind me, who makes those expensive RE and Constellation enterprise HDDs? And the same company also makes SSDs - for enterprise - yes, really:

Mission Critical Storage

Enterprise performance drives (2.5-inch HDD and SSD) are optimised for transactional data access at the fastest response times.
    http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/product...tical-storage/

Confused yet? Stick to a mixture and don't forget to back your data up, Pete

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    It does seem vague and the real question is whether it has impact in the real world. Sounds pretty much like scaremongering...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you suggesting someone is encouraging FUD? Surely not!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    @satrow: Confusing, YES!! Hence my request for comments. And YES, I certainly make and keep regular data and full system backups/images ...just in case!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Confusing to me. I would want to read a peer reviewed journal article on the research. The slides leave A LOT to be desired in gleaning info out of them...though I thought they indicated SSDs superior for a while to HDDs in holding onto data then rapidly degrading to match the HDD in data loss.

Thanks
    Interesting, but I'd like to see more than just one research article.

The "few days without power" is just so much crap, it's unbelievable that someone would actually come up with that.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a netbook with an ssd in it that I recently powered on after it had been sitting for 5 months without power. It powered right up and worked fine with no issues. I can't say that I verified that every single bit on it was still intact, but I'm reasonably confident that it didn't lose any data. My experience doesn't disprove or prove the validity of the article but does show that YMMV.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HP Pavilion g6 Notebook with a Crucial 120GB SSD running Linux Mint 17.1. It's been off for more than a month and unplugged from AC power, battery completely discharged. Just fired it up and all seems to be good so maybe the concern would be more for the long term scenario.

Thanks
    That article smells of BS--but that's just imo.

Use disks as recommended and you'll be fine:
    SSD for OS and programs and page file;
    HDD for data;
    Image backups of the SSD [eg before Windows Update], incremental data backups of the HDDs [with full backup every week/month].

Thanks
    See: Debunked: Your SSD won't lose data if left unplugged after all
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/29251...after-all.html

Jerry

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

friscomama (2015-05-28),satrow (2015-05-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Author Debunks Power Loss Claim

Today (5-21-2105) one of the authors of the article very loudly proclaimed that it was being misinterpreted and that SSDs will not lose data if without power even for years. The report rapidly spreading across the Internet is based on a misreading of a study conducted five years ago. Let's have a round of applause for all the irresponsible bozos who never bothered to fact check their stories as they spread the false information.

Here's the link to the story explaining the misunderstanding. The story is written by the editor of PC World.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/29251...after-all.html

If you’re in a panic because the Internet told you that your shiny new SSD may lose data in “just a few days” when stored in a hot room, take a chill pill—it’s apparently all a huge misunderstanding, according to the man who wrote the original presentation all the fear is based on.

In a conversation with Kent Smith of Seagate and Alvin Cox, the Seagate engineer who wrote the presentation that set the Internet abuzz, PCWorld was told we’re all just reading it wrong.

“People have misunderstood the data that they’re looking at,” Smith said.

Cox agreed saying there’s no reason to fret.
    “I wouldn’t worry about (losing data),” Cox told PCWorld. “This all pertains to end of life. As a consumer, an SSD product or even a flash product is never going to get to the point where it’s temperature-dependent on retaining the data.”

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Please read the article linked in post #11. This is much ado about nothing:

"In a conversation with Kent Smith of Seagate and Alvin Cox, the Seagate engineer who wrote the presentation that set the Internet abuzz, PCWorld was told we’re all just reading it wrong.

“People have misunderstood the data that they’re looking at,” Smith said.

Cox agreed saying there’s no reason to fret.

“I wouldn’t worry about (losing data),” Cox told PCWorld. “This all pertains to end of life. As a consumer, an SSD product or even a flash product is never going to get to the point where it’s temperature-dependent on retaining the data.”

NOTE: the person who wrote the presentation says it is being misinterpreted.

This thread has gone off the rails. I'm closing this thread.

Joe
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-05-25 at 21:29.