New Lounger
    Thanks

How to convert Amipro (.sam) files to Word (.doc)

My Family History was written years ago in Lotus Amipro 3.0, .SAM format. I need access to the files but trying to convert these files to Word has now become a bucket list problem to me. I have conducted as thorough a search as I know how, without success. Relevant converters seem no longer available. Other software such as Open Office or Libre Office.... are no help. Or has the relentless progress of Time beaten me?
    Can anyone offer some guidance? I am using Win 7.

jwoods
    You might see if the free online file conversion service Zamzar can do it...

http://zamzar.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Granddad (2015-05-16)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Might get the FREE IBM Lotus Symphony installed and see if it can read the AMIPRO files. Lotus did change the word processor to WordPro after Win95 came out which uses the file format of .lwp but I didn't have any problem opening my old .sam file in WordPro.
    http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/en/lotusymp

EDIT: I have to back up on IBM Lotus Symphony, mine got upgraded to BETA 4 and won't open .sam files but maybe version 3 or earlier could. I do have Lotus SmartSuite 9.8 on Win10TP and it lists .sam in file types it can open. I may have a copy of IBM Lotus Symphony 3 stored somewhere but ????. If there's not too many or too large files one could compress them as a .zip file and send as a PM and Lotus WordPro used to convert them.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-05-16 at 22:29.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Granddad (2015-05-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Zamzar says, "Unfortunately we do not currently support conversion of .sam files."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Berton. Will try it out.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I may have a copy of IBM Lotus Symphony 3 stored somewhere but ????. If there's not too many or too large files one could compress them as a .zip file and send as a PM and Lotus WordPro used to convert them.
    If you and Granddad are comfortable with it, he could set up a free Dropbox account and post the .SAM files there.

The privacy settings could be configured to only allow himself and you access.

Then, you could download the files and potentially convert them.

If that worked, you could upload the finished product to his Dropbox account.

https://www.dropbox.com/

jwoods
    Also, it appears Word 2000 had the capability to convert Amipro 3.0/3.01 files to Word docs...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/208863

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    If you and Granddad are comfortable with it, he could set up a free Dropbox account and post the .SAM files there.

The privacy settings could be configured to only allow himself and you access.

Then, you could download the files and potentially convert them.

If that worked, you could upload the finished product to his Dropbox account.

https://www.dropbox.com/
    I'd have no problem with that.

I also installed Office 2000 on Win10TP a couple of weeks ago but there was a problem, need to have SP3 installed so as to get the Compatibility Pack but have to have SP1 to get SP3 and SP1 can't be found on the 'net, it never ends. Good thing it was only for testing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to Berton & jwoods for your efforts to help. As as result I have installed 'Virtual PC' & 'XP mode', acquired and installed WordPro, from Lotus SmartSuite 9.7. Eureka! Now able to read .SAM files. Note: The results do not include the photos set up in AmiPro, but I can deal with that.
    Last edited by Granddad; 2015-05-20 at 22:56.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

As for the photos, the upgrading or changing of a program has always had that risk, might be part of why Adobe Acrobat and its free Reader came about years ago, able to create a more-or-less universal document.