Thanks

Importing to OE from Outlook (OE 5.5)

My student son has been using Outlook at home and now has moved out and has use of a PC with OE on it. He wants to take his messages etc. We have put his .pst file on a CD and thought he could use the import facility in OE. But when he tries to use Import, and specifies Outlook as the program to import from, it doesn't work, presumably because Outlook isn't installed on that PC. What do we do?

Ian

Thanks

Re: Importing to OE from Outlook (OE 5.5)

Try copying the file from the CD to your hard drive, then right_click in Explorer > Properties and make sure it is not Read Only.
    (Outlook itself can not open a read-only .pst file - this may be the same.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You may need to export the address book from Outlook (pst) to a delimited text file and then try and import it into OE.

The messages can be imported from the pst files using Outlook Express 6.0, I do not know about any of the other version of OE.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

My new computer has OE6 running on Windows XP. I had Outlook 2000 on my old computer, and I have not yet moved the application to the new one. In the meantime, I'm using OE6 to handle my email. I want to move my Contacts from Outlook to OE, and I actually thought that two applications that share a common parent and an almost identical name would speak the same language. Alas...I exported my Outlook Contacts to a .pst file via my ZIP drive. When I tried to import same into OE6, I was told I couldn't do that. So I suppose I need to export my contacts as a .csv file. Trouble is, I have only one monitor, and I'd like to make this happen without switching monitors again. Is there any way to convert the .pst file to a .csv file without involving Outlook on my old computer? That is, can I use some application on my new computer to convert the file from .pst to .csv?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

----------------------
    I actually thought that two applications that share a common parent and an almost identical name ...
    ----------------------

Yes, I thought that too - but I was assured that Outlook Express is actually nothing to do with Outlook, the similarity of name is incidental and OE was bought in by MS separately!

You'd think they'd've done something to make it more obvious they weren't connected, wouldn't you?!
    Beryl M

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You've probably fixed this problem by now, but.... DaveA has the correct answer re: the address book. As for messages...I dunno, except: Have you tried just forwarding the messages from the old computer at home to the new edress? Even if he's using the same edress, this should work. Of course, it might be a bit cumbersome if we're talking about a LOT of messages....

Thanks

Sorry to be so long responding - just back from 2 weeks on holiday. What we did in the end was to export the messages from Outlook to OE on the old PC, then put all the files that generated on a CD and copy them to the new computer.

Ian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA--I have a follow up question. If I use the "Import Messages" command in OE6 to import from a pst file, what does it do with the contents of the "contact" folder? My objective is to import the 2000+ contacts from a pst file into OE6, and your post here was the only thing I found about how to do that (this http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm doesn't work because it is EXTREMELY slow). However, before I follow your instructions, I want to be sure that OE6 knows to put the contacts into the AB (even though I had to choose "Import|Messages to be able to read the pst file).

Thanks for your thoughts...

klyjen

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The contacts folder is your address book - I'm pretty certain that next to the option to import/export messages is another option to do the same with your address book.
    Beryl M

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There isn't an option to import the address the same way, which is why I was so concerned. That said, I ended up just attaching the pst file to Outlook, switching it to IMO, and letting the user work from there. It was easier than trying to get stuff into OE.

Thanks for the thought, though...

jen