Thread: UAC issue

New Lounger
    Thanks

UAC issue

Hi,
    I have Win 7 64Bit. I turned on UAC to max on this computer as I do a lot of surfing and it just seemed like a good idea at the time.
    But it was dimming at the strangest times (no prompt or anything to click on either... Sometimes while I was scrolling down a website the screen would get darker/harder to read. Watching hulu.)

Turned off UAC. Rebooted.

The screen still dims. Still no prompt so i can get my screen back to normal brightness. Go to a different website, screen fine, go back to the one UAC doesn't like and the screen does this gradual fade as I scroll down.

I tried remoting (using built-in win 7 remote assistance) to one of my other computers here in the office (just trying to learn how it works) and my monitor dimmed again. I can barely see.
    I dragged the remote assistance window to my second monitor and it's fine.

I'm not sure what is going on.

So the issue is just the primary Monitor on my PC.
    Even when UAC was on, it wouldn't give me a prompt to click yes... just dim the screen.

Anyone know what setting might be messed up? I've tried to google for help but the only answer I have is to turn UAC off.
    UAC is definitely OFF, I have rebooted several times. It's only one monitor that is doing this lovely dimming thing.

(Venting: but how does making me not be able to see the screen make my system secure... I mean just give me a big popup flashing warning in the middle of my screen... something I can act on.
    Possibly if it actually gave me some actual details about what exactly is concerning UAC... that would be very helpful)

And thank you SO much for any advice... I realize there may not be anything that can be done but just had to hope
    Last edited by gabby123; 2015-05-17 at 11:56.

Thanks
    Try running your browser with no add ons.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. as fyi I am using google chrome.
    When i googled how to run chrome without addons, it directs me to extensions and uncheck them.

is that what you mean or I apologize, do you happen to know how to turn off odds in chrome?

Thanks
    That's one way. You can also add the following switches to your Chrome command:

-disable-extensions
    -disable-plugins

As an example, run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --ssl-version-min=tls1 -disable-extensions -disable-plugins

You could also try IE to see if the problem is Chrome specific.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok, same thing even launching with that command. But again just the one monitor.
    Although now that I know at least one monitor will let me see what I'm reading, I'm not really as concerned.
    It's just annoying and I regret messing with it lol

Thank you for the help!

Thanks
    Try physically swapping monitors. In other words, power down the PC, power off both monitors, swap the input cables between the two monitors, then start everything back up. See if the dimming follows the cable, or stays with the monitor itself.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-05-18)