Thanks

Office 365 and spreadsheet from OneDrive

On this laptop I have been running Office 2010 and just recently installed Office 365. When I open OneDrive and open a spreadsheet to work on I usually also click on "Open in Excel". When I do I get the following: Capture.PNG
    Needless to say that when I click on "Try" it takes me to my 365 page. Everything there appears to be good including the activation. When I click on "I have Office" it opens up a blank workbook and then from there I can open the workbook that I want.

On my other laptop I am running Office 2010, and about the only difference is that on that laptop I get the same message and a warning about virus's, then the Excel 2010 splash screen and then the workbook not a blank one.

My Surface RT pretty much follows the laptop running Office 2010 in that I get the pop up that is pictured, along with the virus warning but at least the workbook opens to what I want to work on.

This to me doesn't seem right. I think something is awry somewhere. I am not too overly concerned with the laptop running 2010 because it is going away soon. This laptop however will be upgraded to Windows 10.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I take " installed Office 365" to mean you installed the Office 2013 desktop programs. Did you remove Office 2010? Is Excel 2013 the default program for spreadsheets?

Joe

Thanks
    Yes, Yes, and Yes

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2013?

Joe

Thanks
    I will give that a try on the laptop, but that still doesn't explain why it is also happening on my tablet,
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Well, Well, Well, If this just doesn't beat all:

Microsoft's Answer is to

"Use another browser

The add-on that opens documents works only in 32-bit Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari (Mac). If you’re using some other browser—for example, if you’re using 64-bit IE—you’ll have to download and upload the document manually or continue using Office Online. Also, in Windows 8, use the Internet Explorer that you run in the Desktop, not the app you run in the Start screen.

If you saw a message about the Office Online Browser Plugin, go ahead and download and install the plugin."

Still get the splash screen on my Surface RT, and am downloading the SharePoint Add on now on my 32bit machine. We will see how that goes. On the 64bit machine I did use Firefox and opened an Excel Document in OneDrive. Then I clicked on Open in Excel, and I still got the virus warning but that I can live with....

I'm really getting weary of what Microsoft is trying to do. WTH I can't even use their own browser? This is really dumb! I sure hope that there are lots of improvements coming in Windows 10.....
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, now you see why so many people still recommend using 32-bit software.

Joe

Thanks
    I was looking to see if maybe I was the only one getting this. Guess not! I get it on my 64bit machine, my 32bit machine and my RT. totally irritating.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Well, the saga continues.
    I had Microsoft on the phone and let them take over my laptop. We made doubly sure that Office 2010 was completely uninstalled, which it was, then reinstalled Office 365 (2013) 32bit instead of 64bit. Nothing changed. While they were with me I opened an Excel file in both Firefox and Opera and got the same results. They suggested I try Chrome, and the @#$% hit the fan at that point and I refused. They are going to look for solutions and call back this afternoon.
    Now! I go to OneNote.com, and open a OneNote file, click on Open in One Note, and I get this

OneNote Capture.PNG Excel Capture.PNG Word Capture.PNG

I think I am pretty much going to give up on this at this point, and I am either going to talk them into refunding for Office 365 and giving me an Office 2013 version (yea good luck with that!) or going back to Office 2010.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Well after another 2 days of futile attempts to rectify the situations with nothing accomplished, (We even went so far as to re-install Windows 7, (and now I can't even get I.E.11), as well as Office 365) I finally got a supervisor named Jeston on the phone and was told that every single user in the user in the World including corporate users get the same warnings and prompts and that there is no way to turn them off.
    Now I'm by no means a spring chicken and thus wasn't born yesterday. Meaning I am not buying that for one minute. So I ask you users of Windows Lounge, When you open an Office on line and then need to edit it in the program on your desktop are you getting those? I really really need to know
    Thanks
    John
    Virus Capture.JPG
    Capture Prompt.JPG
    Thanks John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I've always gotten them, and so what? Just click on the Yes button, and your computer-based Word or Excell will open, and off you go. Takes about 2 seconds if you're slow or angry about something.

New Lounger
    Thanks

And another thing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BobGeezer View Post
    Yes, I've always gotten them, and so what? Just click on the Yes button, and your computer-based Word or Excell will open, and off you go. Takes about 2 seconds if you're slow or angry about something.

It works identically with my Surface Pro 3 8.1

Administrator
    Thanks
    @John,

In your post #10, the messages are different from the other posts. The first message is a standard Office message when you open a file directly from a download in one of the Office programs. I believe everyone should get that prompt. Not sure about the second message. I don't get that.

Joe