Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis True Image 2014 question

Running Win 7 Pro Sp1.

I have a paid version of Acronis True Image 2014. I have not installed the program on my computer, but I have used the Acronis ISO to burn a bootable disk that I use to make my hard disk images. I do this because I believe this is the best way to isolate my system from corruption, since I never boot to the system, but only to the Acronis environment.

I boot into True Image from the bootable disk, and I do a disk image of my hard drive (all partitions) to an external hard drive (Seagate Backup Plus) via a USB 3 interface.

I only use 247GB of my 2TB hard drive, and I use "normal" compression (Acronis' terminology) to create the image. I always allow the program to verify the image.

My most recent backup (yesterday) took approximately 4 hours to complete (including verification), which seems to me like a very long time.

My questions are: If I were to actually install the full True Image program on my hard disk, would the imaging process be any faster? Would there be any other advantages to creating an image from the fully installed program? Am I at higher risk of corrupting my system from doing my images in this fashion?

Your advice and opinions would be appreciated.

jwoods
    See this Acronis help article on backup performance...

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support...html#7969.html

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The backup time basically depends on the amount of data to backup and the performance of the backup media. Esata, USB3 are usually faster, USB 2 visibly slower.

With an USB 2.0 drive, 300 GB of backup (no verification) take about 3 hours with Acronis TI 2013 (not using 2014 on the desktop, yet). This is done from Windows. Verification should add a reasonable amount of time to the backup time.

There are no integrity issues with backing up from Windows. I've done it since 2005 with no issues whatsoever. This means hundreds of backups done.

This said, backing up from the boot disk should be a bit faster than doing it from Windows.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jtwoods, thanks for the link. It appears that, as ruirib noted (thank you, ruirib), backup from the boot disk should always be equal to or faster than from an installed program, simply because the boot disk has 100% of the CPU's attention all the time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    jtwoods, thanks for the link. It appears that, as ruirib noted (thank you, ruirib), backup from the boot disk should always be equal to or faster than from an installed program, simply because the boot disk has 100% of the CPU's attention all the time.
    Indeed, I agree with your assessment.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Good call, from the OS's point of view, the fewer 3rd party drivers active, the better. Less chance of interference causing bugchecks during normal use.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I always run my backup from within Windows - I don't want to have to stop doing things just because the backup is running. My last system backup of 45GB to a USB3 disk took 8 minutes, without verify.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If installed, Acronis True Image can be used to search a backup image for particular folder[s] and/or file[s], if/when found, can be copied "out of the image" onto the harddrive -- wherever you choose to. I've done that several times each year. All of that can be done while doing other things within your active Windows session.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-05-18 at 10:57.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    I have been using ATI 15 (free for people who bought 14 after a certain date Sept??). It sets up a lot of stuff to run at start. I have been having BSODs on my W7 system and a reinstall W/O TI is now in progress. I am using the free Macrium Reflect booted off a USB drive for backup at present. At this time I can't that TI was the cause of my problems but it does add stuff that I can do w/o. YMMV I would stick with the method you are using.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    David, it's only ~2 weeks since I worked on one that was misbehaving; Paragon, Acronis and IntelRST were the suspect drivers. They'd all been installed for so long that none of the images/backups were any good, RST failed to fully uninstall (it had been mistakenly installed to begin with, it's not needed except for RAID or SSD caching), force uninstall of the remaining driver led to a BSOD that required a re-image or refresh install to recover from - back to square one... so it was wiped.

Similar can happen, though more rarely ime, with 3rd party defrag drivers that load at boot, rather than when needed. Many other 3rd party drivers cause BSODs much more frequently. Keep your cocktails simple: Scotch and water, Absinthe (sugar) and water,...

Thanks
    Acronis and Macrium work for a great many, not too good for some. Experiment, go with whatever works best for ya
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    If I do fool around w/ my Acronis it will be on a burner install of windows or maybe a VHD. I am really like stand alone non installed utilities these days.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Backup is an essential daily/weekly activity and having to remember to boot from CD to perform one is asking for trouble. You are much better off installing the software and letting the scheduler do the work for you.

cheers, Paul

jwoods
    After installing it on your system, ensure that the Volume Shadow Copy service is set to manual.

Thanks
    Backup is an essential daily/weekly activity and having to remember to boot from CD to perform one is asking for trouble. You are much better off installing the software and letting the scheduler do the work for you.
    Paul I would love to do just that and not have BSODs. For now I will proceed slowly. ( If any of you remember that I first built my system last Sept. you will likely wonder just how much slower I can possibly go ) Once I am convinced everything is hokey dokey I can set up a NAS to receive those scheduled backups.
    BTW I don't have to ask for trouble it just finds me.

After installing it on your system, ensure that the Volume Shadow Copy service is set to manual.
    jw
    Could you explain that advice?

David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast