Lounger
    Thanks

off topic spam/phone calls

Not a computer problem. I am getting phone calls, that when I answer the call, no one is there. No dial tone, no noise, nothing. Some of the calls are from Texas, California Florida, Ohio, Arizona, New York, and other states. Today I called back to 234.564.0459 and got Google mail and then after the phone rang a few times, I got a message that the Google had no one available and to call back later. So has Google found another way to annoy people? Today I tried 619.520.9122 and got a message to leave a message after dialing 1. How do I stop the phone calls? This is the first time I got an answer, all other times, there has been no dial tone, no ringing or any other response. Does reporting these numbers to the "Do not call registry" 888.382.1222 stop the calls. Have the hackers tired of messing with our computers and decided to branch into phone calls?

Thanks
    Sounds like a scam, batch dialling system that switches to the first number answered, leaving the others hanging.

Report the numbers, for sure.

Thanks
    The calls are probably made by auto diallers owned by telemarketers trying to sell you goods or services that you neither want nor need. When you answer, the call is automatically transferred to a salesperson. If no one is available to take the call, you get silence. If you get repeated calls from the same numbers, your service provider should have a way to allow you to block them, otherwise, a permanently connected answering machine makes a good filter.
    Signing up to the Do Not Call Register can help reduce the number of unwanted calls, but it only works if the telemarketers are legitimate and actually abide by it. Its ignored by foreign based scammers who often use local numbers to hide their identity.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Thanks
    I get tons of them, I add them to my reject calls list on my Galaxy S4 and also turn them in to the FCC http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    they happen
    you cant stop them
    spam calls usually from telemarketers
    some are just checking that numbers are in service
    so spammers waste less time robodialing

could be someone answered before you and they connected to that line and left yours open

reporting this calls will do nothing but waste your time

not really hackers
    mostly sales pitches but also phishing by phone
    we get several calls with indian voices claiming to be from ms
    and are going to fix our computer just give them our ssn and credit card and bank account numbers first

Quote Originally Posted by fireman View Post
    Not a computer problem. I am getting phone calls, that when I answer the call, no one is there. No dial tone, no noise, nothing. Some of the calls are from Texas, California Florida, Ohio, Arizona, New York, and other states. Today I called back to 234.564.0459 and got Google mail and then after the phone rang a few times, I got a message that the Google had no one available and to call back later. So has Google found another way to annoy people? Today I tried 619.520.9122 and got a message to leave a message after dialing 1. How do I stop the phone calls? This is the first time I got an answer, all other times, there has been no dial tone, no ringing or any other response. Does reporting these numbers to the "Do not call registry" 888.382.1222 stop the calls. Have the hackers tired of messing with our computers and decided to branch into phone calls?