Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 Lost Sent Items Following a Reimage

Greetings -

The flaw in KB3022345 required me to restore a 64 Bit WIN 7 system image from back in early April. Everything went smoothly except the sent items folder in Outlook (Part of Office 2010) was missing all of the messages I sent after the date the April system image was taken. My Outlook Data file (Outlook.pst) is on a different partition from my C Drive so it should not have been affected by the image restoration. It would seem that perhaps the sent items folder is located somewhere else, perhaps in a Users folder which would obviously have affected things. Snooping around in the Users folder didn't reveal anything that I could figure out. I if knew where the Sent Items folder is stored, perhaps I could prevent a future recurrence. I don't see an ability to find any of those items at this point. Thanks for any insights.

Casey H.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hello,

As i have read your question twice, i came to a conclusion that this is not an issue with the image restoration. Because as you have mentioned that the PST file was not present in the c drive. This implies that restoration went well. And yes, it is not possible that your PST file is present somewhere else in the directory and your sent items folder is present somewhere else. So i believe that there's an issue with your PST file. And when such a situation arises you can do the following things:
    1. You can run Outlook in safe mode. (as a basic remedy).
    2. If you think your PST has corrupted, then run scanpst.exe (Inbox repair tool). It is a inbuilt tool from Microsoft which helps to recover PST file when it gets corrupt.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-06-08 at 05:11. Reason: Removing spam URL

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clark Kent For This Useful Post:

Casey H (2015-05-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been out of town and haven't accessed the Forum until today. Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.
    Casey H.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I'm out of luck. I ran the repair tool; it found and repaired errors (don't know which ones); and I still have five weeks of missing items in my sent folder. Oh well.

Casey

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you double checked your Outlook account configuration to make sure that the data file is located where you think it should be?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Been out of town again. Yes, the file is where it is supposed to be. What I find a bit confusing is there is another file in the same folder that consists of my email address followed by dot pst. It's pretty small (16k in comparison to over 200 k) and was last used over a year ago, so I don't think it's part of the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Could the items have been deleted by auto-archive?

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Casey,

The file about you are talking is seems an another PST file which you would have created years ago (May be not intentionally) and still at the same location. The file size of apparently telling and even I foresaw that it does not contain any data, but still I would suggest you to access it once before employing any action on it.

Primed this file to Outlook and see what data it is showing. If it does not, then you can probably eradicate it. Conversely, move the missing data into the default PST file using Import if you get them in this PST file.

Also, re-check the settings of Auto-Archiving function as it can screw up the functioning. (Joe has already told you about it)

Note: Always keep a copy of the data files before.

Thanks & Regards
    Clark Kent

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I hadn't considered the auto archive feature. Gives me something more to check out.