2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Super Admin account

In Windows 8.1, I have been trying to set up the Super Admin account like Fred talked about in the last newsletter. I have the new Administrator account, but I can't figure out how to set up a new user account to give access to all my stuff. As it is now I get this weird desktop with basic icons.
    I know not to run on the Super Admin only to do admin tasks. Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer75 View Post
    In Windows 8.1, I have been trying to set up the Super Admin account like Fred talked about in the last newsletter. I have the new Administrator account, but I can't figure out how to set up a new user account to give access to all my stuff. As it is now I get this weird desktop with basic icons.
    I know not to run on the Super Admin only to do admin tasks. Thanks for any help.
    With all due respect, and I mean no offense by this in any way, if your experience level is such that you are having trouble setting up the Windows default Administrator account, you shouldn't try to use the Windows default Administrator account.

In my plunderings in the nether reaches of Windows, I've found only a couple of instances where the Windows default Administrator account was necessary, and this was deep in the registry. For all other issues that a general Windows user might face, an account in the Administrators group is all that is necessary.

Complex scripting (multiple sequential Administrator level tasks) benefit from the Windows default Administrator account. If you're not writing complex scripts or digging deep in the registry, you don't really need that level of access.

Routine system maintenance tasks can be set up in Task Scheduler to run as SYSTEM, and SYSTEM has very nearly the same access as the Windows default Administrator account (the aforementioned deep registry edits aside), with no UAC popups at all.

Probably 99.9% of my runtime is spent as a normal user.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

oldgeezer75 (2015-05-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that comment, unwarranted as it was. I was following Fred's instruction and apprantely my version of 8.1 doesn't respond with the same screens. I was merely trying to get some clarification.

jwoods
    You might take a look at this tutorial (w/screenshots) on EightForums...

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Create a System Restore point first before making any changes to your system.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

oldgeezer75 (2015-05-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went to that site and again I seem to have a lesser version of 8.1, not the Professional. I have a request in to Kaspersky to see if they can show me how to access those files. I am leaving on vacation tomorrow, so will consider this closed for now. Thanks

Thanks
    What kind of files would you like to access? I'd like to learn more about Windows 8 & 8.1 internal workings. Hope you have or have had a great vacation and see ya when you get back!
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-05-20 at 09:35.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer75 View Post
    The admin account is a whole new user account, hence the default bare bones desktop. It does not have desktop access to the things in your account. An admin would access your account files and items via the file system.

Thanks
    Mikey, you're right as rain! The only way to "parallel" desktop folders and icons is to carefully cautiously copy desktop folders and icons from most-used account over into desktop folder of the admin account.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ...The only way to "parallel" desktop folders and icons is to carefully cautiously copy desktop folders and icons from most-used account over into desktop folder of the admin account.
    @ Roland.

Probably what MikeyTG1024 meant was that the Administrator account permits access to anything in other user accounts. By "An admin would access your account files and items via the file system" he rightly means that (for example) he could use "Windows Explorer" or "File Explorer" to browse to another user's Desktop folder and use shortcuts as if he were that user.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.