Thread: Restart Problem

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Restart Problem

I have been struggling with this problem since I acquired my laptop last January. I have been testing Win10TP, and am now on the latest build (10074), but the problem persists. The problem does NOT occur with Windows 8.1

My computer (Acer E15 (or E5-511-P8C8) hangs on restart after waking from sleep, hibernation or even after powering off (shutdown) and powering on again. (In this latter case, the next restart will hang.) I have to manually power off, then power on to start the machine again. This allows the machine to work normally, until the next restart. However, in one instance, this solution does not work. That is when installing an update to a new build via Windows Update. As usual, the first restart hangs, but, on powering on again, the error code 0xC1900101 0x20017 is thrown. This seems to be because the system failed to "restart" in the proper mode required for a system upgrade.

This error (0xC1900101 0x20017) was a repeated cause of problems when Windows 8 was released (according to Goggle searches!), which leads me to believe that the problem is either BIOS related or driver related. However, it occurs so early in the restart process (before attempting to reboot from any device, because the restart will hang even if a bootable flash drive is present), that it is impossible to determine which driver is the cause. If Boot Log is enabled, maybe it starts to get recorded, but it will be overwritten after the restart hangs, and the machine is restarted from scratch again. I should also add that, if I implement my workaround (described below), and then run the build upgrade from Windows Update, it works fine. All subsequent restarts that are part of the install process work OK, but, after the update is complete, the problem will re-appear.

I have also tried a clean boot, but this has no effect.

I have, however, stumbled upon a workaround that seems to allow restarts to occur normally.

Workaround steps:

1 Start: Following normal power on, all seems fine, but next restart hangs (usually very early, before Acer screen appears)
    2 After power off and on, start msconfig (Windows Key + r, enter "msconfig" in dialog, then Enter). Set "diagnostic start" and restart. This restart also fails a bit later - after Acer screen appears and rolling dots start but quickly stop. (Sometimes the restart hangs before the dots appear.)
    3. Power off and on again. (You may see "Unknown Hard Error". This is due to the disabled services.) Run msconfig again. Check the Services tab. If all (or most) services disabled, enable all and restart. Restart is successful.
    4. Restarts continue to be successful until system is shut down or sleeps. Next restart after this will fail. Then go back to step 1.
    5. If system enters sleep mode (or suspend or hibernate), after the system recovers itself, restarts will fail thereafter and steps 2,3,4 have to be repeated.

I have only tried this on the laptop connected to A/C power (since, with sleep etc. disabled, the machine would run out of power). As mentioned earlier, this workaround also allows upgrade install of new builds to work (avoiding the 0xC1900101 error referred to above).

Can anyone offer any explanation of what is happening, or why my workaround works!?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some of the Windows 8.1 update issues which produced that error code were related to full disk encryption. Is your laptop using full disk encryption?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Also posted at Windows Insider Program, but no responses in 11 days: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...3-ea099731bb0a

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No - no encryption at all. Thanks for responding though!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    True! Also posted on tenforums.com. But I'm not getting any responses so I thought I'd try here!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyBat View Post
    3. Power off and on again. (You may see "Unknown Hard Error". This is due to the disabled services.) Run msconfig again. Check the Services tab. If all (or most) services disabled, enable all and restart. Restart is successful.
    Build 122 update.... Basic restart problem not resolved - workaround slightly more complicated!

Change needed to step 3 of workaround. In build 122, instead of "Unknown Hard Error" dialog with an OK button that dismisses it, a new Critical Error message appears indicating "A critical error has occurred in the Shell Infrastructure Host........". The OK button is replaced by a "Sign Out Now". Clicking this signs you out, and it is not possible to run msconfig again from Win Key + r. Instead, it is possible to create a shortcut to msconfig on the desktop, and execute that while the Critical Error message is still displayed. Again, re-enable all services in the Services tab, and next restart will work.
    Last edited by GreyBat; 2015-05-21 at 16:05.