Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What Are The Most Common Complaints With Win 7?

I happen to think Win 7 works pretty well and is way ahead of Vista in most respects.
    And I personally don't care for Win 8.1's cheesy tile interface, though there are lots of folks who seem to like it, and that's great for them. ( I am not trying to start a war about Win 8.1.)
    So what are the major things users don't like about Win7?

rstew

Thanks
    Microsoft trying to break it with their updates recently as a ploy to force everyone onto W10?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    And I personally don't care for Win 8.1's cheesy tile interface, though there are lots of folks who seem to like it, and that's great for them.
    I agree, I also don't care much for the Tiles for my needs. The only issue I've run into with Win8.1 is my clients prefer the familiarity of Win7 and earlier so I put the Classic Shell on and they are happy. The premise of Win8.1 and touch screens is good but certainly not for everyone. The cost of a new desktop monitor can also be prohibitive for some folks to get just that feature. I see touchscreen better used on Notebooks due to being closer for a person's arm reach. Then there's the issue of glasses prescriptions.

Win10 appears to fit both Win7 and Win8.1 features into one OS and I see it as being better accepted. A much more costly issue is upgrading programs that don't work on 64-bit Operating Systems, will keep those on limited incomes from upgrading before being forced to.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 is perfect for my needs, I don't have any issues with it apart from the number of updates every month and their increasing unreliability. I never liked the look of Windows 8 and have no interest in Windows 10. I certainly wouldn't consider upgrading an OS until at least 6-12 months after launch because of the inevitable teething problems and the delay in other applications providing support for it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I’ve only recently moved from XP, having waited until W7 and the associated applications had matured nicely. I am not in the least concerned about “end of MS support” as the volume of users means that that practical support will be available for at least the life of my new laptops.

The slightly-feared transition was pleasantly easy with some help from this forum and the result is a very effective PC operating system. There is a great deal that I like.

Moving on to what I don’t like, there’s not a lot that I haven’t “got over” or worked around but there are my top 5 annoyances in terms of everyday use rather than setup or “under the hood” stuff:

1. The way the view jumps around in Windows Explorer – the focus is never where I want it. It is a remarkable achievement to get it wrong every time.
    2. The way the auto-hidden taskbar sometimes fails to re-appear.
    3. The unpredictability of the entire Windows Updates process.
    4. The bizarre restrictions imposed by UAC on the filing system, such as not being able to create shortcuts in areas where they are needed. Changing UAC and re-booting to get around this is a pain.
    5. The built-in backup and recovery system. I have worked with quite a few people who thought they had backups but – when they needed them – turned out not to have any (or not to have any that are usable): I use Acronis to work around this. I don’t mind that, but would rather that MS hadn’t lulled users into a false sense of security (literally !) with a system that is unfriendly and whose use and restrictions are poorly documented.

Don’t get me started on Tiles !

MS started it, and Google took it to an altogether lower level with their Stars implementation of bookmarks for their Chrome browser.

The most compact and fast means of getting information from an area of a screen is almost always by the use of words. There are exceptions in the case of icons that have a broad usage across platforms and applications – such as a printer icon.

I understand that this is an attempt to create a consistent experience across hand held devices and PCs but that ignores the huge difference in what we do on different devices – I tend to hop between a few familiar places on my smart phone to do short, routine tasks, or to browse. On my PC I do a much wider range of tasks, many of which are more complex and time-consuming. One size does not fit all, not even close.

As I mentioned, Google took this to another level, roughly speaking attaching random images to user’s items then throwing the whole lot against a wall, relying on search to find anything (or, more usually, nothing).

I am pleased that MS have pulled back from that brink with Windows 10.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    @ MartinM

Steve Johnson has produced a decent Win 7 tutorial book, but if you visit your local book shop and enquire to see what is still in print, there maybe something there to help you.

I think mine cost about 15 from WH Smith in the UK.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo, but I'm not sure that I am in need of documentation. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post - what were you referring to ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Thanks Sudo, but I'm not sure that I am in need of documentation. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post - what were you referring to ?
    Just thought that you were having a few problems getting to grips with Win 7 and thought a hand book would have been of help in using a new OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks but it has been remarkably easy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Having just rebuilt my Windows 7 PC, the thing I hate most is how much it slows down just be loading all the updates and patches. I installed 4-5 applications and it takes well over a minute to boot to a usable desktop.

Previous PC with WinXP booted to a usable desktop in less than 30 seconds after it been in use for 4-5 years. Win 7 won't do that out of the box! Even with twice the RAM and twice the CPU cores.

It's not just booting, it's everything. I expect Windows Explorer to launch pretty much instantly(less than 2 seconds), which it did on older PCs, but it's at least 5-10 seconds in Win7, sometimes more.

I'm just hoping my new PC (not the one I rebuilt, the one I've just started building) with SSD and even more CPU horspower and RAM will bring back the days of "snappy" response time I was used to on older systems.

If anyone can give me an idea of what hardware I need to get Win8.1/Win10 running like this please let us know.

Gordon
    Last edited by dogknees; 2015-05-21 at 01:32.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gordon,

This may act as a reference for your timings . . .

I have a fresh install of W7 on a Dell Latitude E5540 laptop, mechanical HDD, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors

My timings are as follows:

Start up to Account Password request: 16 seconds
    Password entry to "in use": 7 seconds
    Full shutdown: 17 seconds

I also have the same configuration on a smaller laptop - Dell E5250 - very similar CPU but running at 2.00GHz and with a hybrid HDD. That one is about 10% faster for all the above operations.

Opening Windows Explorer is as instantaneous as my old eyes can see, ditto Word. Google Chrome takes about 2 seconds.

Martin
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-05-21 at 07:18.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogknees View Post
    Having just rebuilt my Windows 7 PC, the thing I hate most is how much it slows down just be loading all the updates and patches. I installed 4-5 applications and it takes well over a minute to boot to a usable desktop.

Gordon
    That seems strange to me.
    Any new Win 7 install I have done boots to a full desktop in under 40 seconds, some in 30 seconds. And that is with a conventional SATA 600 HDD; not an SSD.
    This is way less than my old Vista Gateway rig which routinely took well over 3 minutes to get to a desktop screen.
    Mind you it was an OEM system with anywhere from 75 to 80 processes loaded, and an ambient memory load of 1.4 to 2.4 GB.

One of the first things I do when a DOA system hits my workbench is dump the OEM mobo in favor of an ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.
    Then without all the OEM garbage loading, typically there is only 35 to 40 processes loaded, and an ambient memory load of 1 GB; slightly more or less.
    This seems to result in a system that boots and runs way cleaner and faster.

Another thing I like about Win 7 over Vista is the ambient memory load does not seem to steadily increase when the system has been running for several days.
    It seems that Win 7 does a better job of cleaning stuff out of memory after the process has finished running. That's just my take, I really don't understand the process involved.

rstew

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    That seems strange to me.
    Any new Win 7 install I have done boots to a full desktop in under 40 seconds, some in 30 seconds. And that is with a conventional SATA 600 HDD; not an SSD.
    This is way less than my old Vista Gateway rig which routinely took well over 3 minutes to get to a desktop screen.
    Mind you it was an OEM system with anywhere from 75 to 80 processes loaded, and an ambient memory load of 1.4 to 2.4 GB.

One of the first things I do when a DOA system hits my workbench is dump the OEM mobo in favor of an ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.
    Then without all the OEM garbage loading, typically there is only 35 to 40 processes loaded, and an ambient memory load of 1 GB; slightly more or less.
    This seems to result in a system that boots and runs way cleaner and faster.

Another thing I like about Win 7 over Vista is the ambient memory load does not seem to steadily increase when the system has been running for several days.
    It seems that Win 7 does a better job of cleaning stuff out of memory after the process has finished running. That's just my take, I really don't understand the process involved.

rstew
    Thenks
    It seemed strange to me as well. The PC certainly ran a lot faster when I built it a few years ago. I might have to "bite the bullet" and reload again this weekend. Probably be rained in anyway!

Gordon

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Windows since 3.1 and while Win 7 is really pretty good I object to the way they treat everybody like an idiot. The days when you can just enter parameters to configure a device are gone, more often than not I find myself stranded when anything goes wrong. The old network setup was fine, you could directly enter in the parameters you want to use, now they hide that and force you to use their buggy interface that is cryptic at best.

That is one of the reasons i use OSX and Linux most of the time, my dual boot laptop runs Linux 90% of the time because it just works.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know it's a lot to ask of MS to get everything right but I think they came the closest to that with Win XP Pro. I miss the XP Start Menu and how easy it was to customize. I also miss the convenient little Red X to quickly delete files in the Windows explorer's toolbar. I especially don't like the way in Win 7's Windows explorer it jumps all the way to the bottom of the screen when you click the plus sign to open a sub-folder! I don't like UAC and "ownership" telling me what I can and can't do without a complicated workaround. This is part of the price I have to pay for security I'm told. My boot up time is good with Win 7 - usually around 45 seconds from the time I push the on button to a useable desktop, but then I have to wait what seems like two or three minutes for the yellow Windows Update balloon to pop up from the systray. This yellow pop up balloon only took about 30 seconds in Win XP. I sure wish there was a way to speed that up in Win 7! If anyone knows of a way, I'd be glad to hear it!
    Well to be fair, aside from the things I've mentioned along with the others in this thread, Win 7 isn't too bad. I'm so glad I skipped over Vista right to Win 7. It was an easier transition than I thought it would be. Now, if MS could get their butts in gear when it comes to updates and patches, there'd be a lot less headaches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast