Star Lounger
    Thanks

Random numbers and letters instead of C:\Users\Owner account

Hello,

I recently purchased a new computer. The operating system is Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installed by
    the company (Ironside Computers) that built it. I have the discs.

As I slowly rebuild everything I was looking for the C:\Users\(My Name Account) and the folders generally in that account.
    Instead those folders are in folder with a name similar to abx4yhltr9..... totaling 19 characters.

How do I change that name (?) to my name so I can drill down as I normally would?

Thanks

raiderfan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan View Post
    ...How do I change that name (?) to my name so I can drill down as I normally would?...
    You cannot change the folder name of a user account.

Best to create a new user account using the name you want, log out of the old account and log in to the new account then delete the old account.

"Control Panel\User Accounts\Manage another account".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Coochin,

I found a Microsoft kb # 2454362. It is similar, but my reading of it doesn't instruct the user (?) of the kb to delete the other account.

Further it directs the "user" to make a registry change. I'm okay with that. I've made registry changes before.

The original folder was named C:\Users\ (Operating System activation code). The computer builder, Ironside Computers, installed the OS.

I tried using the Kb process but somehow I created a C:\Users\Username entry and a C:\Users\Username-2 entry.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2454362/en-us is the kb in question.

Any thoughts about what I did wrong to create two entries?

Thanks

raiderfan

Thanks
    From the KB2454362 article:
    Note This is a "FAST PUBLISH" article created directly from within the Microsoft support organization. The information contained herein is provided as-is in response to emerging issues. As a result of the speed in making it available, the materials may include typographical errors and may be revised at any time without notice.
    The article is not well-written, contains obvious errors, and does not provide sufficient details of how to perform the steps.

I understood your #1 post as meaning your Windows is newly installed, so suggested creating a new user account named as you want then deleting the unwanted account.

The "Control Panel\User Accounts\Manage another account" method in my #2 post avoids having to edit the registry and manually rename the account folder.

ManageAccounts.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Coochin

Thanks

raiderfan