5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 upgrade error locks user's files

LANGALIST PLUS

By Fred Langa

When Windows' file-and-folder permissions go awry, you might be unable to access your own data! But you can regain control with a few easy steps. This article discusses two quick workarounds, plus methods to help permanently resolve even difficult permissions problems.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/windows-8-upgrade-error-locks-users-files/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    And just what purpose does all this complexity serve? It reminds me of the Linux command line which serves to show "Look how smart I am." by those who are able to use it.

Thanks
    donrc, tell me more! To whom is your comment directed?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    The simple solution to Ownership issues following an OS upgrade, reformatting of external media, or any other change which messes with access under Windows, is Rizone Software's shell extension Take Ownership (now simply called Ownership) (info) . This utility will allow many times the quick restoration of access to the drive or folder(s). But as the Rizone site description says:
    After you have taken ownership of the item, you may still need to allow your user account Full Control of the item before you will have permission to access, modify, or delete it.
    So you still may need Fred's advice to regain all the needed permissions.

BTW, this same issue occurs in MacOS and Linux. In Ubuntu, every time I use gParted, I need to open a Terminal, open my file system navigator as Root, and change Permissions and Child (inherited) Permissions for the affected drive, folder or files. When running the CloneZilla Live backup utility (runs from a disk or USB Flash Drive) I also have to reset Permissions and sometimes ownership of the backup archives in Ubuntu Linux. So this is definitely not just a Windows 8 or Windows in general problem.

As to why all the gorey details -- unfortunately, Permissions and Ownership are complex and thorny issues when they go wrong. That's been true forever in computer Operating Systems, and it will always be true. So pardon the details, but any one of these details might be the source(s) of a Permissions problem, in any OS.

Actually, in Linux sometimes the Command Line offers the fastest and simplest way to fix an issue. Better than scouring through a GUI-based app to find one command to run. Even in Windows, Command Prompt (often as Administrator) is often faster and simpler than trying to find an app or utility which can do the same job.

And in Ubuntu Linux, a Command Terminal is sometimes the only way to run a utility as Root, unless there's a Launcher Script labelled "(As Root)" already made for the utility (which is rare in Ubuntu).

I don't program or invent scripts in any OS or any language. So I am definitely not a code geek. But I do have a passing familiarity with the Command Line, both in Linux and in Windows. It never hurts to know something which is occasionally useful.

I love GUI programs, and given a choice, I would use nothing else. I would also love to find a GUI program with a single-click "fix Permissions and Ownership" button. But I have yet to find such an App, for Windows or for Linux.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2015-05-21 at 14:44.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My comment was kind of a complaint to the universe. I have used MS operating systems since DOS 3.0, but have never been locked out of my own files until Windows 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob,
    I agree that the command line is useful in Linux. However I am sure that the people at Canonical are as smart as the folks at Microsoft. If it were as easy to install programs and to alter setups in Ubuntu as it is in Windows, Ubuntu would be 60% of the installed base in a year. After all it's free compared to $200.
    The problem with Linux command lines is that they tend to be quite long and a simple comma or space or slash out of place or missed and you have to go back and type the whole magilla over.

Thanks
    Leaving out a comma can result in whole folders being wiped - a colleague of mine did it! At least Windows asks if you really want to delete files.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had that problem with two USB drives. I about went nuts trying to adjust permissions. Finally as a last ditch effort, I plugged them into another USB port. Bingo! After that I could go back to the USB ports I was using.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post
    LANGALIST PLUS

By Fred Langa

When Windows' file-and-folder permissions go awry, you might be unable to access your own data! But you can regain control with a few easy steps. This article discusses two quick workarounds, plus methods to help permanently resolve even difficult permissions problems.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/windows-8-upgrade-error-locks-users-files/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another possibility is to connect the external drive to a different PC. The files in question should now be accessible. Copy them to a flash drive. Connect the flash drive to the original PC and copy the files to the internal drive. IF this works, then with the external drive still connected to the second PC, simply delete the files in question.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donrc View Post
    Bob,
    I agree that the command line is useful in Linux. However I am sure that the people at Canonical are as smart as the folks at Microsoft. If it were as easy to install programs and to alter setups in Ubuntu as it is in Windows, Ubuntu would be 60% of the installed base in a year. After all it's free compared to $200.
    The problem with Linux command lines is that they tend to be quite long and a simple comma or space or slash out of place or missed and you have to go back and type the whole magilla over.
    Careful copy/paste from Web forum posts about my issues has eliminated about 90 percent of my typing in my Ubuntu Linux Command Line. I occasionally have to type long, detailed paths, but I do that in gEdit first, then copy/paste my own work (after careful proof-reading) into the Command Line. I also keep backups made with CloneZilla Live. Disasters do happen, trust me!

For that matter, I've munged Windows installations many times with driver updates or program and utility tweaks, all without ever typing a letter into any Command Line. MS Updates will sometimes munge Windows without any actions on my part, other than clicking Install or Download and Install.

Best solution in both OSes -- BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP !!
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2015-07-03 at 18:39.
    -- Bob Primak --