New Lounger
    Thanks

Question CD's arent seen in WIN 7 Pro

Ok, bought a license from EBAY for a WIN7 PRO. Already have WIN7 CD. Installed on an older single CPU box. DIY build. Did the call Microsoft thing about Reconfig number. Everything went fine,, updated to the WIN7 PRO over the internet.

Now the only problem is the CD's on the computer are not operating. They are connected thru the old ata connection,, both CD's. Motherboard has sata for hard drive. MB is a ECS K8M800-M2 if that helps any.

And the computer will boot up.

Any Insight would be helpful!!

marc

Super Moderator
    Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

waskelywabbit (2015-05-20)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Now the only problem is the CD's on the computer are not operating. They are connected thru the old ata connection
    That appears to be a problem we had to deal with using PATA/Parallel ATA drives [before SATA/Serial ATA was common] especially if the computer has had hardware changes. You have to be certain both drives have a jumper on CS for Cable Select and the position on the cable determines Master [one end plug] and Slave [middle plug]. The other end is for the motherboard. The cable may or may not be marked, last I built had blue for the motherboard and black for the Master end. If both drives have their own data cables then no problem. And the drives have to be identified in the BIOS so Windows knows about them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try another known working CD (audio is fine) in the ODD. If it plays, works then Win7Pro DVD's (I assume) are bad. Or the ODD is a CD only drive and those are DVDs---which it should be with Win7. If it does not work, then replace the ODD.

You can try some of the really good fixes sudo15 linked to see if there is a fix.

Also does the ODD show up in BIOS and Device Manager? Does the LED light briefly flash when you first boot up and when you put a disk in and close the tray?

Check data and power cable fit at both ends. Replace data cable ribbon with known working spare if available. There are no drivers for an ODD, it is built into the OS (atapi.sys). There may be a driver for the PATA controller. Make sure the IDE/PATA controller is turned on in the BIOS menu.

Hopefully the ODD is the only device on the controller. There are a primary and secondary controller. They are separate. I have had the primary fail and been able to continue using my PATA drives through the secondary. Move the cable there, ensure the secondary controller is also turned on in the BIOS menu and see if that clears things up.

If you determine it is the ODD and since you only have two SATA 1.5Gbps ports...if you want to save them for HDDs, buy a cheap used replacement.

Lastly support for that VIA chipset MB for Win7 is rather suspect. The chipset was frankly made for XP.

That is it for what I can remember for keeping an old PC going. If you need to replace the ODD a lot of used stores like Goodwill have piles of them for $5 or less and easy return/exchange policies.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pro...uID=24&LanID=9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135214

VIA still offers support for its chips to an extent. Al chips on that MB (assuming v2 or v3) are VIA chips and Win7 support including 64-bit is present for all chips. Though with 2GB max RAM I assume you are running 32-bit for its slightly less resource utilization:
    http://download.viatech.com/en/suppo...versSelect.jsp
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-05-20 at 21:34.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The device manager says the computer cant load drivers or drivers are corrupted or missing (code 39}

They are on one cable,, both and the cable is marked which end goes where. Now the jumpers I cant say for sure right now. I am actually using that computer to type this.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I can happily say I fixed it. The first Microsoft link SUDO15 put up told me what I prolly should have known,,, the old burning programs I installed on it screwed it.

Or the DVD program I installed.