Lounger
    Thanks

Remove 'Welcome to Word' in Word 2013 templates display

I've recently installed Office 365 on my Dell desktop from a Home Premium subscription. In Word 2013 I've done a registry edit to make my personal templates (rather than Microsoft's ghastly "featured" ones) the initial display when I want to start a new document. However, the Welcome to Word ("Take a tour") template now displays as the second template icon in the personal templates thumbnails (even though the template itself isn't in my personal templates folder). I deleted WelcomeToWord.dotx from the Office Templates folder, and I chose "Unpin from list" upon right-clicking the Welcome to Word thumbnail, but the thumbnail remains. As I said, the template itself isn't in my personal templates folder, but if I click on the thumbnail, it gets downloaded from Microsoft into that folder and it opens up "Welcome to Word". Deleting the template itself again from my personal templates folder still doesn't make the thumbnail go away. I'd really like to remove the thumbnail entirely, since I have no need to ever "take the tour" again (and it's taking up valuable space near the top of my personal templates thumbnails), but I can't find any way to do that. I haven't found any answer on the Lounge or on Google. Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks for any available help.

Thanks
    I too have just installed O365. I've now removed that from my templates list (I haven't looked at the others yet). But I had to click the pin more than once to remove it. Have you tried again? Looking at other templates the pin is on its side and the tooltip states 'Pin to list'. I clicked it and it didn't remove the template, but clicking it again seemed to do the trick. I haven't physically deleted the dotx files.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

vanceh (2015-05-21)

Thanks
    Take a look at File New Variations - especially the sections on Word 2013. You could use the classic FileNew dialog.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-05-21),vanceh (2015-05-21)

Lounger
    Thanks
    @access-mdb: Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried clicking the pin multiple times to no avail.

@Charles Kenyon: Your "File New Variations" page was very helpful. After reading the Word 2013 section, I decided to try Jay Freedman's newdoc userform that you provided the link for. It gave me an even better display (a template dialog box in list view) than I originally hoped for, with the annoying Welcome to Word completely absent. Many thanks for your help!

Thanks
    You are welcome.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks
    @Charles: On further review of your very useful "File New Variations" page, I decided to try your instructions to add the classic File New dialog box to the Quick Access Toolbar, so that I could compare the display with Jay Freedman's newdoc userform. It turned out that I actually prefer the classic dialog box to the userform, if I change the classic dialog to list view. However, my change to list view doesn't "stick"; the next time I open the classic File New dialog, it comes up in icon view, and I have to change it back to list view each time. Is there any way to change it to open with the list view every time?

Thanks
    I am not aware of any method.

I do, though, tend to also attach the FileNew classic command to the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+N as well. That way, the only way I get MS's online templates is by using File > New.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

vanceh (2015-06-11)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Charles, thanks again for your help.

Does anyone else know of a way, perhaps using a macro, to make the Word 2013 classic File New dialog box open in list view every time (as opposed to its default of opening in icon view)?

Thanks
    Investigate setting up a macro using SendKeys. This is old technology that I do not use much so I can't be of much help on it. It definitely would require a macro and I know that SendKeys is quirky.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin