Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Netbook running Windows 7 starter being able to have Windows 10

Greetings from NZ.

Can anyone please give me the definitive answer as to whether a HP netbook running Windows 7 starter will be able to run when released the free upgrade of Windows 10. ? If so are there any limitations to its use?

Thank you

Alistair

jwoods
    As of now, Windows 7 Home Edition is the lowest version that can be upgraded (to Windows 10 Home Edition).

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...s-10-editions/

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Alistair,

Has to be Win7 SP1 Home or better. Sorry.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43277

PS: Oh, geeez, sorry... you, already, had an answer. Ooops, excuse me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seekwn View Post
    Greetings from NZ.

Can anyone please give me the definitive answer as to whether a HP netbook running Windows 7 starter will be able to run when released the free upgrade of Windows 10. ? If so are there any limitations to its use?

Thank you

Alistair
    Give this a try:

1. Backup everything on the netbook.
    2. Download the latest beta for Windows 10.
    3. Perform a clean install of the beta on the netbook.
    4. Try it, use it, and I suspect that when the time comes, it will upgrade itself to the final.

Do check the minimum requirements, however. I have an HP Mini and with 2 GB of RAM (upgraded from one), and it runs Windows 7 Ultimate. It ran it on one GB as well, but I upgraded for some advantage. The other 'upgrades' in my case are an external keyboard and an external monitor, both of which I use on other computers as well. It's an interesting experiment, but I'd sure hate to have to use it all the time.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Sorry, thought I had given you a definitive answer. Cannot do the Free Upgrade from Win7 Starter Edition. Might be able to put Win10 on that machine as a Custom install but, not as an in-place install.

I trust that is definitive for you, this time. Cannot go from Starter Edition to Win10 via the free upgrade path.

And I know it is being suggested that people will be able to go from a beta installation to the GA. MAYBE and if so, things have changed drastically... I have beta tested 3 Windows OSs prior to this & we could not go from beta to RTM or GA. IF a unit is one's only computer, the beta should not be put on it... unless as a VM or dual-boot. Should never use a beta OS as a production machine.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43280

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Sorry, thought I had given you a definitive answer. Cannot do the Free Upgrade from Win7 Starter Edition. Might be able to put Win10 on that machine as a Custom install but, not as an in-place install.

I trust that is definitive for you, this time. Cannot go from Starter Edition to Win10 via the free upgrade path.

And I know it is being suggested that people will be able to go from a beta installation to the GA. MAYBE and if so, things have changed drastically... I have beta tested 3 Windows OSs prior to this & we could not go from beta to RTM or GA. IF a unit is one's only computer, the beta should not be put on it... unless as a VM or dual-boot. Should never use a beta OS as a production machine.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43280
    I was able to go from the final Beta of Windows 8 to the RTM version with a purchased Windows 8 Product key and an upgrade install. Didn't lose any settings from the beta.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Has to be Win7 SP1 Home or better. Sorry.
    SP1 is not required to qualify for the free upgrade (but will need the ISO), according to the Microsoft chart: Microsoft’s Plan to Upgrade and Update Windows 10

Anywhere official that says Starter is not included?

Paul Thurrott thinks otherwise: "If you are using a consumer SKU of Windows 7—Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, or Home Premium—or Windows 8.1 “Core,” you will get an upgrade to Windows 10 Home for free." Tip: Understand the Free Upgrade to Windows 10

(Nothing in the windows.com link in post #2 says that Windows 7 Home is the minimum edition which qualifies.)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-05-21 at 14:07.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43280
    OK, you are probably right, but MS is going crazy to get this product into the mainstream, and it is doing so to the point of giving it away on almost any pretext. In that respect, things have indeed changed drastically - I have never seen a product that they were so eager to have users for without an immediate profit to show for it.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Sorry, I was going by what has come down from Microsoft not, Paul. MS very much has stated from the onset, SP1. As for the supported Upgrade paths, I saw no mention of Starter but, hey, if it can be done, great.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43298

Banned Member
    Thanks
    To 'dogberry',

Well, there is such a huge difference on so many levels, in so many ways between Win10 & the past, that it just makes good sense & is better & of benefit for both MS AND the End User, be they Consumers or Enterprise.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43299

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you

To 'dogberry',

Well, there is such a huge difference on so many levels, in so many ways between Win10 & the past, that it just makes good sense & is better & of benefit for both MS AND the End User, be they Consumers or Enterprise.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43299
    Thanks all you guys for your feedback . Much appreciated.

Alistair

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    MS very much has stated from the onset, SP1.
    Where did they say that?

It's a Microsoft chart which says it's not required:

Windows 10 Upgrade Matrix.png

http://video.ch9.ms/sessions/winhec/...s/OWD100a.pptx
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-05-22 at 07:36.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I am checking w/ my contacts @ MS & the Build Team. Chart shows SP1 & that is what MS has been saying ever since the Presentation Event in January. I believe can be Win7 if from ISO... direct Upgrade needs SP1 and RTM must use ISO, also.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43338

Thanks
    I am checking w/ my contacts @ MS & the Build Team. Chart shows SP1 & that is what MS has been saying ever since the Presentation Event in January. I believe can be Win7 if from ISO... direct Upgrade needs SP1 and RTM must use ISO, also
    The OP didn't mention "direct"
    Quote Originally Posted by seekwn View Post
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I heard back... my contact w/in MS & as far he knows it's W7 SP1. Not only is this what The Build Team said in January but, the sheet I'd put here regarding WU & W10 did not have Starter on it anywhere... only mention of Home & above... Seemed to jibe with what had, already, been told. Maybe just how we are interpreting what was stated. Anyway, yes, needs be SP1. Even the Upgrade Matrix chart shows only SP1, not plain 7... w/ 7 RTM using the ISO(Media) only, not WU

Please, take this an definitive. 7 SP1 & 8.1 Not plain 7 or plain 8. Not suggesting may hear otherwise from somewhere.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43347

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast