Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Will I need 'Windows Missing Files' to update to windows 10.

Hi, I bought my first laptop last year (Samsung ultra book) and I got them to swap the 500 GB hard drive with a 128 GB SSD and up grade windows 8 to 8.1. This my first experience with windows.
    Recently I tried to use the "Refresh your PC without effecting your files" function but I got the message "Some files are missing, your windows installation or recovery media will provide these files"...... I approached the shop that sold me the laptop and they told me that those files are on the hard drive I had removed as there's not enough room on the 128 SSD and to do a "Refresh" I need to put the hard drive back into the laptop to access the missing windows files.
    Well I would rather give that a miss and all is well now but my question is, "when I want to upgrade to windows 10, will I be in the same situation" and need to put my 500 GB hard drive back in to the laptop temporarily, as I'm guessing windows are going to need those files.
    Thanks in advance if anyone can help with this.

Thanks
    The files on the recovery partition, which you no longer have, are relevant only to the repair of your existing OS. They will not affect the installation of W10. What you do need to be sure of is that you have enough free space on your hard drive to accommodate the temporary installation files needed to install W10 which is required in addition to the actual space occupied by the OS and your programs and files.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-05-21)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Peter,

Short answer, NO. If you are planning to go the free Upgrade route, the SSD is big enough... just store data elsewhere. I have a 128 SSD myself, that will be swapped from 8.1 to 10. 10 will have all the files it needs. Plus if you use the 500 HDD it will require a clean install. So you would have to buy win10 since you would not be able to do the free Upgrade, because can't Upgrade what's not there.

Cheers,
    Drew

Attachment 43281

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-05-21)

Thanks

What to do with those temporary files.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Peter,

Short answer, NO. If you are planning to go the free Upgrade route, the SSD is big enough... just store data elsewhere. I have a 128 SSD myself, that will be swapped from 8.1 to 10. 10 will have all the files it needs. Plus if you use the 500 HDD it will require a clean install. So you would have to buy win10 since you would not be able to do the free Upgrade, because can't Upgrade what's not there.

Cheers,
    Drew

Attachment 43281
    Thank you Drew, at the risk of sounding like I don't have a clue, 1 more thing on this subject. Those spare windows file I have on the external hard drive, do I need to keep them, or are they able to be used to repair the OS once updated to windows 10. In Calimanco's help full response to my question he refers to needing room for temporary files needed to install windows 10 . So I'm I right in thinking that I can move those temporary files to the external hard drive after the WIN10 installation and delete the spare files I referred to above.

Thanks
    The files on the old hard drive are redundant and can be deleted. Put it in a caddy and use it to store an image of your new OS, which you can use to repair your installation if there are problems in the future. There are plenty of free imaging programs available to download.
    As for the temporary installation files, Windows deletes them after the installation is complete because they are no longer required.
    After the update, you will discover the presence of a file called Windows.old. This contains a complete copy of the previous installation. It can be deleted by running Disk Clean Up if you wish to recover the used space.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-05-23)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ok, well, Peter, the other person has covered it quite well.

Although, no free imaging program needs to be downloaded. That ability is native to the OS. > File History. @ the bottom left corner of its window is System Image Backup. Click on that to create a System Image.
    That is, also, where you configure your on-going (data) backup to your External drive.

CCleaner can, also, remove the windows.old folder. Under Advanced is Old Windows Installation, click it to show a checkmark

The 128 SSD where you are putting Win10 is plenty large enough. You'll be fine.

NB: The OS will do pretty much everything & anything natively, BTW.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43325
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-05-22 at 05:50.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-05-23)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CCleaner can, also, remove the windows.old folder. Under Advanced is Old Windows Installation, click it to show a checkmark

Drew
    Attachment 43325
    I don't have that option on my version of CCleaner?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I don't have that option on my version of CCleaner?
    Trev,

Did you have Win10 installed before the Build you are currently using?? If there was no previous installation, then it will no be listed. And if Disc Cleanup, already, removed it, won't be there.

Should be on the Windows tab in CCleaner. Scroll down to the faded stuff under Advanced.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43339

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I apologise, I'd overlooked that this was in the Windows 10 Forum and I don't have Win 10 (yet).

Thanks

"Some files are missing " message.

Peter,

Cheers,
    Drew

Attachment 43281
    This isn't really WIN 10 but to save repeating my opening post in a new thread else where I would like to revisit this here. I now understand that when I do install WIN 10 on my lap top which has a 128 SSD I am able to delete the old redundant window files on the 500 GB external HDD .(the files the shop left on the 500 GB HDD that they removed when installing the 128 GB SSD)
    So does this mean that I will be able to use the "Refresh your PC without effecting your files" feature without getting the "Some files are missing, your windows installation or recovery media will provide these files" message. This seems to make sense to me as I won't have any external window files to add back into C drive anyway. If this is the case I'll be really happy to know that as I have to use the "System Restore Point" feature when getting in to trouble. I see you have a 128 GB SSD also so thought you may know what I mean. Thanks.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I'm going to say, NO. However... I think I need or should address what sounds like a bit of confusion. Getting that notice is rare. When it does happen it is not related to the files you mention on the 500. It happens when Registry or Core OS files are broken, corrupt or missing (dlls & such); file the can only be found on the OS media. But, to what you are really asking... you'll be fine w/ the 128.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-07-03)

Thanks
    I'm going to say, NO. However... I think I need or should address what sounds like a bit of confusion. Getting that notice is rare. When it does happen it is not related to the files you mention on the 500. It happens when Registry or Core OS files are broken, corrupt or missing (dlls & such); file the can only be found on the OS media. But, to what you are really asking... you'll be fine w/ the 128.
    Great news,thanks to you putting me straight that these files on my removed HDD are not the missing files I need to use the refresh feature I worked out how to add some information into the command prompt which created a "CustomRefresh.wim" and now those missing file are there. One last thing though is now that I have done the refresh I have a Windows.old file in C drive which is 33 GBs. Can I delete or move this file if everything is good.Screenshot (66).png I may start a new thread else where later about this.If I can free up 33 GBs on my 128 GB C drive I've hit the jack pot. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-07-04 at 07:02.

Thanks
    You can delete Windows.old, it contains a copy of your previous installation and is no longer required, unless you want to recover any files from it. Make sure you use the removal tool in Disk Clean-up to do it, don't just hit delete.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Yes, if you no longer need anything from it then, yes. Disc cleanup will do it and so will CCleaner. CCleaner, it's under Windows and Advanced.

Cheers,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    You can delete Windows.old, it contains a copy of your previous installation and is no longer required, unless you want to recover any files from it. Make sure you use the removal tool in Disk Clean-up to do it, don't just hit delete.
    Thanks Drew1903 and Calimanco, especially for the "don't just hit delete " part. I probably would have used a cleaner but then maybe not. Well anyway, final thing is when I used refresh and ended up with Windows.old folder does that always happen after refresh, or have I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 update 1 (not Windows 8 to 8.1 ).
    Going back to your comments "the files are relevant only to the repair of your existing OS " and "The files on the old hard drive are redundant and can be deleted" Did you mean that AFTER I update to WIN 10 the files are redundant. If so, now that I have my new CustomRefresh.Wim files can I delete these Windows files . When I asked at the shop 6 months ago he said "put it (the HDD with the files on) in your drawer and if you need to do a Refresh put the HDD back in the laptop and the missing files will be there. I would rather wipe it clean and keep it for a system image as you suggested. It's now in a caddy and it's the only HDD I have apart from thumb drives and SDD cards which aren't big enough for System image.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast