Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockup Problem

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lockup Problem

I have been having lockups with my computer. The mouse pointer would just freeze and I canít do anything but power down and reboot the system. I believe it to be a hardware issue, instead of a software issue. I happens randomly and doesnít seem to be related to me doing anything. I happens when I boot up the system, am in an application, playing a game, or even when the computer is idle. SOMETIMES I get these sound anomalies, which lead me to believe it might have something to do with the sound card, which I believe is integrated into the system, and not a separate card. Or it could be the graphics card or memory or any other component in my system. How do I go about troubleshooting my system for hardware problems when I donít have special equipment to do so, and I canít for instance remove my video card or memory to see if that is the culprit.

Thank You!!!

Thanks
    What make and model is your computer? And, is it a desktop or laptop?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

jwoods
    Go to Device Manager and expand all of the entries.

Look for any yellow or red icons.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can boot up into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you still get the freezes as in that mode, both your graphics card and audio are isolated - so that's two down.

If the freezes cease then you would need to go into Device Manager and disable the audio for elimination.

Roland has asked the right question because both Dell and HP have some in depth Diagnostics, but I think HP come out on top with theirs but if a desktop then the PSU could be suspect.

Another thing to consider is a failing HDD so running a command prompt as an admin and performing a chkdsk /r would give some info on that.

Running a chkdsk without any parameters may also give similar info on the state of the HDD.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-05-21 at 16:30.

Thanks
    It reads rather like a TDR issue, the graphics subsection has been waiting too long for required data, could you check in Reliability Monitor, 2nd category row down, click each [x] for details - Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Reliability Monitor for 0x116 or 0x117 errors?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for all your replies!!!

I believe my problem to be a hardware problem, because I have all my drivers up to date and there are no "!" next to ANY device in device manager. Also I ran checkdisk on my HD and also checked memory, and detected no problems.

I have a ĽHP Pavilion Elite m9510f Desktop PC.
    ***Don't know why you can't print the information out in device Manager*** I hate windows!!! My verion of windows is Window 7 Professional with SP1.

That was refurbished. I swapped out the HD and video card a while back, don't think that is the problem.
    I think the problem might be the sound card, don't know if it is an intergrated card on the mother board or not.
    The problem is I don't know how to test the sound card HARDWARE, if that is even the problem. Everything I have come across online has to do with checking the driver and software, which seem to be ok.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Booting up into Safe Mode with Networking disables audio and if the problem persists then it won't be the audio, but you can run HP's desktop diagnostics to check out your computer's hardware, although I'm not sure if it has a specific one for audio.

Sometimes updating the audio drivers can be beneficial, but at the moment it's only speculative that it is audio that is causing the problem.

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c02491515

BTW - You can use the Snipping tool to post a shot of Device Manager in Win 7.

EDIT - Have you followed up on Satrow's suggestion ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-05-22 at 13:46.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have followed up on Satrow's suggestion, and it appears to be a negative issue. I am not ruling out a graphics card issue. I just think it more likely to be an audio HARDWARE issue. The audio system is intergrated into the mother board and I don't know how to go about testing the hardware to see if that is the problem. I also don't know how to go about deactivating the sound device on the mother board.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As I've said in my Post #7 booting up into Safe Mode with Networking will isolate both the graphics card and audio and then see if the lock ups still occur, but there could be something recorded in Event Viewer with a date and time around these freezes.

To isolate just the audio, go into Device Manager, expand Sound video and game controllers - right click on the audio and select Disable.

Have also you ran a memory test ?

You can do this by pressing the Windows key, type memory then click Windows Memory Diagnostic.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-05-31 at 15:28.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I deactivated the audio in device manager and still encountered the problem. So I guess it isn't the sound card. I also ran a memory test, and memory is OK. I don't know what else to try. I can't figure out what is causing these lock-ups. They seem completely random. I have booted up in safe mode and haven't encountered the problem in safe mode, but that doesn't do me any good, since I can't really do anything in safe mode.

jwoods
    Try running a System Health Report from either the Search or Run prompt..

perfmon /report

When it completes, click on File, select Save As, give it a name, and save it as an .HTML file (default).

You can post it if you need further assistance.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-08 at 23:41.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Safe Mode only minimal drivers are loaded and no 3rd party programs, but the intermittent nature makes diagnosis a little more difficult.

As you don't have any problems in Safe Mode, that would eliminate these items but not your graphics card. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7

Event Viewer may have recorded the lock ups, so check for any Critical/Errors with the date and time stamp of the occurrences.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-09 at 04:42.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestion to look at Event Viewer. It looks like VMware didn't uninstall all components when I uninstalled it. Looks like all my lockups where caused by the system trying to load elements for VMware that is no longer there. How do I go about uninstalling the elements that didn't get uninstalled, and completely remove VMware from my computer?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Given that VMware have produced this article, http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...xternalId=1308 it would seem to be not an uncommon problem where residue is left behind.

The article includes a link for a cleaning utility as well as extensive manual removal steps - my eyes were aching just reading it but good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast