Thanks

Why Chrome uses so much memory

And what you can do about it...
    http://lifehacker.com/why-chrome-use...ram-1702537477

Jerry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2015-05-21)

Thanks
    Good article Jerry. I guess the reason Chrome runs fine for me is the 32 GB of ram I have.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Because it can? That about sums it up I think.

More seriously though, hasn't Google always had big ambitions for Chrome? I mean they pushed this idea of Google apps running under Chrome as the sole application stack. And then they rolled out the "Chrome OS" via the Chromebook. And Chrome sandboxes everything which is better (theoretically at least) for safety and stability but has to come at some expense in memory.

What all this adds up to is a browser with operating-system like ambitions. I presume it is caching pages like crazy. So it's not entirely surprising when this thing also consumes memory like an operating system. Which is to say, "all your memory are belong to us!"

Thanks
    What happens in Chrome is that multiple instances of the browser processes open up for each open tab. There are ways to mute or suspend inactive tabs in Chrome, which will conserve memory usage. Also, setting Flash and other plugins to activate only when you let them ("Ask") will save on computer resources and improve the performance of active tabs.

Chrome Extensions and Settings (switches) to save resource usage in inactive tabs:

Mute Audio: Mute Inactive Tabs extension

Suspend Inactve Tabs (with timer options): The Great Suspender extension

Prevent Flash and other plugins from automatically playing and wasting resources: chrome://plugins/ settings -- set each plugin to Ask To Activate

Consolidate Chrome processes into a single instance:
    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/02/08/sav...cess-per-site/

Merge tabs into one tab: OneTab (http://www.one-tab.com/). Converts tabs into a list, which conserves resources as these tabs will not spawn (as many) extra processes.

Chrome's aspirations to be an Operating System do not enter into this situation as much as Chrome's stated goal of isolating processes for security purposes (sandboxing). Also, in terms of stability, if one tab crashes, it won't bring the whole browsing session crashing down. Firefox does isolate plugin processes for this reason, and IE may also do so. But Chrome was the first browser to come up with process isolation implemented in this way, I believe.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2015-05-28 at 16:29.
    -- Bob Primak --

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-05-29)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    a lot of it could be all the time it is servign up more ads and mailing all your private info home

it also seems to dl every byte of every website if you look at one page

firefox used to be mean and lean
    and then it stopped working

at least chrome is bugfest central but it usually works
    very slowly but it works most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Huh, hasn't been my experience over the last half dozen years or so using Chrome, RAM pig yes, slow and buggy, absolutely not or I couldn't put up with it, although maybe twice this year now I've had to clear history because it was a little grumpy handling a couple web pages. A couple of the runaway RAM users I've found are pages that have a refresh/update component and streaming ad component which probably use the same protocols or at least very similar ones. ABPlus extension has improved some of that and greatly "calmed" my browsing experience as the only thing that is flashing most times now is my cursor position.

Thanks
    Chrome seems to run fine for me. I use CCleaner to clear the cache every night before shutting down the computer.
    It's a heck of a lot faster than IE in my experience. I have never tried FF.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: "Chrome's aspirations to be an Operating System do not enter into this situation..."

Actually I'm going to disagree with this. Chrome's OS aspirations are very much relevant I think. Google imagined (and still imagines) a world where the browser is the primary, or even the only local application. Under these conditions, who cares how much memory the browser consumes? Everything else of consequence runs on a remote server.

Therefore they may be doing huge amounts of caching, pre-emptive link following, you name it. The only thing that matters to them is browser performance. And since the Round Trip Time is a problem they cannot solve they throw the kitchen sink at those performance issues they can solve.

I admit that my argument is based upon a couple of assumptions. Those are, at the very least, an interest in, and adherence to a real software architecture. An architecture with big ambitions for the future. It also pre-supposes competence in implementation. An incompetent implementation can undermine any plan.

Yet I think we can make these assumptions when it comes to Google. It's entirely in their corporate character and history.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i have to agree with that

except that trying to make it faster makes it slower
    and
    often it crashes because of the scripts that are constantly sending more stuff or refreshing or whatever that gets them into a death spiral

Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    Re: "Chrome's aspirations to be an Operating System do not enter into this situation..."

Actually I'm going to disagree with this. Chrome's OS aspirations are very much relevant I think. Google imagined (and still imagines) a world where the browser is the primary, or even the only local application. Under these conditions, who cares how much memory the browser consumes? Everything else of consequence runs on a remote server.

Therefore they may be doing huge amounts of caching, pre-emptive link following, you name it. The only thing that matters to them is browser performance. And since the Round Trip Time is a problem they cannot solve they throw the kitchen sink at those performance issues they can solve.

I admit that my argument is based upon a couple of assumptions. Those are, at the very least, an interest in, and adherence to a real software architecture. An architecture with big ambitions for the future. It also pre-supposes competence in implementation. An incompetent implementation can undermine any plan.

Yet I think we can make these assumptions when it comes to Google. It's entirely in their corporate character and history.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    i have to agree with that

except that trying to make it faster makes it slower
    and
    often it crashes because of the scripts that are constantly sending more stuff or refreshing or whatever that gets them into a death spiral
    I think the gist of the above two comments are basically sound reasoning. But I disagree that caching everything they can has much to do with Chrome's performance and resources management issues. Caching is not done in RAM, and so this would never result in a "memory leak" feeling on the user's part. Placing everything in the Cloud on today's faster Internet connections does not necessarily mean that caching locally on a computer (say, a Chromebook) is any better than caching web pages on a remote server. So I think I can see this part of the argument as plausible, but not the most likely explanation for the "memory leak" effects which are the main focus of this thread.
    -- Bob Primak --

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Install some RAM.
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2015-08-10 at 22:04. Reason: Removed objectionable term

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Its caching. The more you surf, the more it saves to disk and memory. So, just set your options to delete cached files when you close the browser, then close your browser occasionally to start out fresh.

AND - OR - You have a memory leak in one of your "Add-ons" but the above procedure will correct it until you find out which one is the culprit.
    Last edited by kaufen; 2015-10-05 at 08:22.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Jerry
    I gave up after the first phrase of the article:
    "Chrome may be the best browser around"...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

Thought you might find this article interesting!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs