Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

C:\Program error message

I have an old, very old, HP Slimline Pavilion with 5 MB ram, that I use for nothing, apart from occasionally firing it up just to see if it still works.

Every time I've done that it has done so perfectly (I do have security protections suited to XP) but tonight, and it had been months, I hooked it up and when I turned it on, before I got to my desktop, I got this error message. C:\Program. I've never seen that before on anything. I just clicked enter and it went on by it and to my desktop, only updates were that Malicious Software Tool, of course. But I wondered about that odd pause. So I figured if anyone, anywhere, would have seen it before, it would be someone here. So I'm just asking, has anyone seen that before and have any idea what it means? Thanks for wasting your time on an obsolete, with an obsolete question. :^) gene

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, I did do a search both here and the net and didn't find anything. Similar things, but not this one. And here is where all the experts are. :^)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

jwoods
    You might check the Event Log to see if there are any warnings or errors around the date and time it occurred.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also check the amount of RAM/Random Access Memory, WinXP needed at least 64MB to run.

Thanks
    The usual problem with getting C:\Program appearing on the screen is that, somehow, a program in the Start folder or in the Run key of the Registry or a Scheduled Task has lost quotations round a program invocation, so that
    "C:\Program Files\SomeFolder\SomeProgram.exe"
    has become
    C:\Program Files\SomeFolder\SomeProgram.exe
    and thus Windows is trying to run C:\Program with parameter Files\SomeFolder\SomeProgram.exe

That's the easy bit - the difficult bit is to find out from where it actually comes!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Will XP run a version of Autoruns? If so, maybe Autoruns will "flag" or "colorize" any startup, bootup, service, etc., which is in error. I don't know about XP & Autoruns.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-05-25 at 10:01.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    It looks like #6 has nailed it and Autoruns will work fine on XP and would be my preferred method of tracking it down.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    It looks like #6 has nailed it and Autoruns will work fine on XP and would be my preferred method of tracking it down.
    If Autoruns does ferret out the source of this anomaly, would the OP please report some detail on where the problem lay?

I just ran the AR app on my grizzled XP system, and using the "export as text file" function yielded a .txt of just 8.45 KB. I would guess that's small enough to paste into a message body here?

The ability to highlight an entry and do an internet search on it with one mouse click is another convenient nicety.

I really appreciate AutoRuns being a freebee, being stable, and IMO very useful.

As we used to say when I worked at GE Engineering, it is "Another Random Success"

-PP-

jwoods
    You could also zip the .arn file and post it.

Anyone with Autoruns will be able to open it.

Thanks
    I suggest that if you wish to send Autoruns data for analyisis, that you do so in the following manner:
    Download the latest version from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb963902.aspx

Run it, agreeing to the licence terms, once it starts, hit Esc to stop the scanning, from the File > Options menu, select only the following:
    Hide Empty Locations
    Hide Windows Entries
    From the File > Options > Scan Options menu:
    Verify Code Signature
    Check VirusTotal.com
    Submit Unknown Images.

Click the Refresh icon or press F5 for the scan to restart and any uploading to VirusTotal to begin. Allow time for any VirusTotal results to be returned, check the VirusTotal column, right side of the main panel, for progress, each entry should contain a x/xx (number of positives/number of scanners used).

Once data checks are complete, File > Save As > Autoruns.ARN (the default file type), zip that saved file (Send to > Compressed folder from the mouse right-click menu) and then the zip can be attached to an email or forum topic reply, where the analyst will be able to check through the file natively in Autoruns.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-05-25 at 14:09.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Payton_Place (2015-05-24)

Thanks
    I suggest that if you wish to send Autoruns data for analyisis, that you do so in the following manner:
    Download the latest version from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...rnals/bb963902

Run it, agreeing to the licence terms, once it starts, hit Esc to stop the scanning, from the File > Options menu, select only the following:
    Hide Empty Locations
    Hide Windows Entries
    From the File > Options > Scan Options menu:
    Verify Code Signature
    Check VirusTotal.com
    Submit Unknown Images.

Click the Refresh icon or press F5 for the scan to restart and any uploading to VirusTotal to begin. Allow time for any VirusTotal results to be returned, check the VirusTotal column, right side of the main panel, for progress, each entry should contain a x/xx (number of positives/number of scanners used).

Once data checks are complete, File > Save As > Autoruns.ARN (the default file type), zip that saved file (Send to > Compressed folder from the mouse right-click menu) and then the zip can be attached to an email or forum topic reply, where the analyst will be able to check through the file natively in Autoruns.
    It looked big as pasted into the WS message, so I figured I would not do it in a real posting. Thanks for the details, very useful.

Thanks
    It's not about size, it's about giving your helper the best detail in a manner that can easily be displayed, checked and interpreted.

Thanks
    It's not about size, it's about giving your helper the best detail in a manner that can easily be displayed, checked and interpreted.
    Thanks again.

I tried to follow your procedure for using autoruns, after downloading v13.30 .

The url given < https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...rnals/bb963902 > was a broken link (at least it was to my system). Got the download from the SysInternals website.

I have just spent about two hours searching the web for any information re an issue in following your procedure, and did not get any satisfactory results. I hope you can explain what is up with it, please.

In the options menu, "hide widows entries" is grayed out.

Thanks in advance, Rich
    Last edited by Payton_Place; 2015-05-25 at 04:47. Reason: Goof in text.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have 13.2 and nothing in my Options menu is grayed out.

cheers, Paul

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Payton_Place (2015-05-26)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast