2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Start-Up problems, ...clean-up?

I'm wondering if a problem with 'start-up' has anything to do with the 'not responding' messages that I get many mornings when I turn on my Windows 7 laptop and it seems to take an UNUSUALLY long time to get going??

I get my password log-in screen pretty quickly, and then my desktop items (quite a few) all seem to acknowledge opening,...then I go to access the internet via Firefox or IE, and both can take excessively long time to load,...and many times I get this "not responding" message. It seems as though anything I want to do, even opening up a file on my desktop, or perform other processes, or whatever, is exceptionally slow when I first start out in the morning. After a period of time things definitely improve.

I saw some reference to problems with 'start-up', so I googled it. Now I'm wondering which instructions to follow, as there are so many??

Thanks
    Why don't you post a screenshot of your startup items and maybe we can assist.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Not responding messages in a browser usually mean your internet connection is working (yet).
    Try going to the home page of your ISP to see if it is your machine.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which AV program are you using ?

It's usually best to give the computer a "minute" after booting up before opening a browser as your AV could be bringing itself up to date before it will allow connectivity.

In a recent online session with a 2nd line MS tech, he told me that he always runs his computer in a clean boot as any non MS services will fire up as and when required - and you can disable all of the items under the Startup tab anyway.

The only non MS service I have enabled is for HitmanPro.Alert as I noticed that when it was unchecked, it used to come up twice when I opened a browser.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-05-22 at 12:31.

Thanks
    My "carrier" or "battleship" post/boot/startup takes a few minutes; it allows every piece of hardware to reach working green before Windows becomes self-aware, gets logged in, desktop and taskbar are fully working and green before I open anything of importance.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Why don't you post a screenshot of your startup items and maybe we can assist.
    How do I go about doing that, and where are my startup items?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Not responding messages in a browser usually mean your internet connection is working (yet).
    Try going to the home page of your ISP to see if it is your machine.
    cheers, Paul
    In other words change my homepage for awhile and see if that makes a difference??

At present I hava google as my home page as I usually want to check my emails early on, and I have 4 gmail accounts.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Which AV program are you using ?

It's usually best to give the computer a "minute" after booting up before opening a browser as your AV could be bringing itself up to date before it will allow connectivity.
    I'm presently using the free version of AVG as it has been said that this is the least intrusive version of their antivirus.

I also uninstalled the previous MS Essentials, feeling that perhaps it was in conflict with the AVG. But no change.

Thanks
    I created an html file which sits on my hard-drive, which is used by my browsers as the home page, with almost all the URLs I visit 95% of the time. This way, my browsers always come to something concrete regardless of whether internet is yet ON or beginning to commence to get started coming ON
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There is no need to change your home page. Just type the name of your ISP site into the browser address box and press Enter.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I enjoy my "battleship" or "carrier" post/boot/startup/desktop&taskbar! By the time I see the desktop and taskbar sections finished, all the hardware [including modem/router] is fully at the ready, green.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    There is no need to change your home page. Just type the name of your ISP site into the browser address box and press Enter.

cheers, Paul
    If I have doubts about my connectivity I fire up a command prompt and try pinging bbc.co.uk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    How do I go about doing that, and where are my startup items?
    MS config is one, another would be a 3rd party app called "What's in startup".
    You can use the print screen key (prtScn), just make certain you resize the window borders so that everything
    is captured/visible, and that it's readable by all of us here. (not too small)

After you've done the above, import the jpg to MS Paint and crop it.
    Attaching it here is as easy as attaching a photo.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-05-24 at 05:57.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.